Questions

It has been three weeks since Mizuiro didn't plan anything with her friends. She went on two missions with her own team that lasted a couple of days. Team 8 did too, apparently. However, Mizuiro decided to apply for a C-Rank mission alone. It consisted to the capture of four rare orchid mantises. A rich man in Konoha had a magnificent orchid garden and wanted to embellish it with the presence of those mantises. He specifically indicated that he knew how to take care of those bugs. It was rare for her to apply to that kind of mission; nonetheless, capturing mantises sure seemed like an interesting experience. When she arrived at the rendez-vous point, she saw the man that hired her coming along with someone else. The man explained he wanted more bugs than mentioned, and therefore accepted another applicant for the mission. The other person that accompanied him was Shino Aburame. Needless to say Mizuiro was taken aback, but not too surprised either. The man gave them all of the information concerning the place where they could capture those bugs, and let them alone. It was a trip to Amegakure, where those mantises lived in high number. It was underwritten that it would be a peculiar kind of mission. They didn't really spend a lot of time alone together, and both didn't particularly like to speak that much either.

~

They were running at a rather slow pace, considering the time they had to bring back the bugs. She was glad she could spend time with him, though she quickly realized how silent their first mission together would be. Silence didn't bother her, on the contrary, but Mizuiro thought it could be a good opportunity to get to know him more. He was so intriguing after all, and she had a very curious nature. The young woman took a deep breath before starting the conversation.

"How are you?"

"Fine. And you?"

"Great. Although... I kind of missed hanging out with you." She said naturally.

He didn't answer, however his brows did make a subtle ascending curve. Fifteen minutes in silence later, she decided to go for a full conversation.

"I really hate to be so straightforward," Mizuiro continued, "but...could I ask you some questions?"

"Concerning?"

"Hum... you."

"...Ok?" He answered hesitantly.

"It's just that I know a lot of things about Hinata and Kiba, but not about you. We don't often have long conversations either. Not that's it's a weird thing... just that... I'd like to know you more, I guess?"

She was hesitant and perplexed, realizing how weird she must sound.

"Alright."

"Uh, really?" Asked Mizuiro in a surprised tone.

"It's important to know our friends."

"I agree."

He paused before adding : "For each question you ask, I can also ask you one."

"Oh. Like a game?"

He nodded. Mizuiro then stayed quiet for a moment, thinking of simple questions to start.

"What's your favorite color?" She innocently asked.

"Green. You?"

"Prussian blue."

"That's specific."

She faintly smiled before asking another question.

"Your favourite meal?"

"Salad. You?"

"White rice."

"That's not a meal." He declared with his usual constant tone.

"Says who?"

They both shared a timid laugh, and it felt somehow weird to be synchronal with him. Although they were answering each other really calmly, it felt like they were somehow teasing each other. She wanted to continue their little game even more.

"Favorite season?"

"Summer. You?"

"Really? With all the layers you wear?" She teased him.

"You have to answer."

"Spring." She smiled.

"Favorite drink, then?" He retorted.

"Lemon water. You?"

"Black tea."

She couldn't help herself and giggled. Their discussion could've seemed nonchalant from the outside, but they were actually having fun. Well at least, she was.

"Alright," she maintained. Can we ask more serious questions?"

"Yes."

It was his turn right now. Shino hesitated for a few minutes, but finally continued.

"When did you start liking bugs?"

"Hm... Around ten, I think. I liked gardening and was fascinated about the bugs' impact on plants."

He didn't say anything about it. Instead, he seemed to wonder why she didn't asked him another question immediately. Yet again, they continued in silence while Mizuiro nervously started to bite her bottom lip.

"I don't know if my question is too personal." She murmured.

"If it is, I simply won't answer."

She took another deep breath, cursing her curious nature right now. She wanted to ask him this question since forever.

"I have a personal theory about... how people in your clan can hold so many bugs your body..."

"..."

"I know it sounds weird," she stuttered, "but it always intrigued me."

"Go ahead."

"Well... is it because your skin is a bit further from your muscles than usual? That way the bugs can freely crawl in?"

"Kind of. Yes."

Not only she was surprised he answered, she also looked at him like he had given her a long awaited answer.

"I'm surprised you've put thought into this," he stated.

"I just like biology in general... I'm sorry if my curiosity was uh..."

"It's ok." Shino declared.

"T-thank you."

She sighed, feeling it took her a lot of energy to ask him this. Shino didn't look too bothered by her curiosity. He must have been used to questions like this. Ironically, he was sure standing out for someone who didn't want to. Of course she could've asked him about his goggles, or even ask him why he was always covered from head to toes. Mizuiro knew how much he liked being discreet. Even if she was the kind of person to always look for the true meaning of things, she had decided she wouldn't ask him about being... himself. She had many theories concerning all of those questions; she thought Shino just didn't like to show how he was feeling. It wouldn't have been respectful to ask him anyway.