Capture

Only one hour had passed before the sun came back. Everything was still soggy. With the rising heat, the humidity was almost unbearable. Mizuiro was wondering how Shino didn't seem to care despite the many layers he was wearing. She always thought she was good at concealing her feelings, but he sure was an expert; especially because he was constantly covered. It was hard enough to worry about her own feelings right now. The fact that she didn't really know her friend's emotions most of the time didn't help either.

They started to walk around their previously improvised hideout, holding their receptacles tightly in order to finally catch those orchid mantises. They started by putting plants and branches in their portable terrariums to be sure the bugs would be able to feed themselves during their trip.

Both ninja walked their separate way so they wouldn't scare too many bugs around them. Mizuiro often looked in her friend's direction to check if she was capturing them right. As much as she was gentle, she didn't had bug-feeding chakra like him. He seemed to gather them way quicker than she did. Thirty minutes passed before she could get three mantises to come into her containers. According to what Shino previously said, so far she had captured only males. The young girl tried to catch a female orchid mantis, but when she did find one, it flew before she could even approach it.

"Don't worry."

Mizuiro shivered as she suddenly noticed Shino standing next to her. He didn't make any sound while coming there, and as she inadvertently dropped the container she was holding, her cheeks gave her the feeling of immediate sunburn.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to scare you," he added while crouching next to her.

He helped her picking up her terrarium.

"Just so you know," Shino continued, "I already captured the females, because they are sometimes more defensive. You could concentrate on capturing the males. I can help you if you'd like."

Still dumbfounded by his presence, she tried to analyze everything he told her. So he already had time to capture six mantises? She sure felt bad at catching bugs right now.

"Thank you..." she muttered. "I'm lucky to have you here."

It looked like he smiled behind his collar, which made Mizuiro timidly look elsewhere. That was the first time she ever saw him like this. It made her instinctively follow his mimic by smiling too.

The next minutes seemed like time itself has stopped. As they continued to look for mantises, Shino explained to her how to capture them while keeping them calm. Once, he even helped her close the lid on one of their container by putting his hand on top of hers by mistake. Mizuiro  had trouble dealing with her more than intense feelings at this point. It was becoming difficult to keep her neutral expression; she was jittery and nervous, contrary to what she wanted.

When they did capture all the bugs they needed, both of them placed their terrariums in their backpacks. They had to go back to Konoha now, but they couldn't allow themselves to run or jump too much without frightening their new passengers.

With care, they went down the mountain as wearily as possible. They stayed close to each other just in case, but the distance between their position and the lower ground wasn't that intimidating. However, the walls were still slippery from the rain. They noticed it right after Shino's foot stumbled on the surface of a rock. By reflex, his friend immediately took his arm to hold him. Mizuiro felt like her heart missed a beat. He didn't even fall; he was still very stable.

"Don't worry, I'm ok." He said while slowly removing his arm from her grip.

"S-sorry... Reflex, I guess."

"It's a good reflex."

His comment made her scoff silently. They kept descending in silence while Mizuiro avoided looking at him. She took deep breaths, internally telling herself it would be easier from now on. They would keep walking towards Konoha while chitchatting at most; it shouldn't be stressful. But why was she so anxious? Wasn't this supposed to bring her happiness? What about this heartening feeling with butterflies fluttering in her stomach? Instead, she felt irked, as if a huge saw stag beetle was biting the back of her neck.

After thirty minutes of non-surprising silence, Shino eventually took a deep breath and started conversation.

"Mizuiro... what I told you last night... I meant it."

She gave him an intrigued look, but he didn't even glance at her. He preferred to keep fixing the horizon. It took him a while to continue, but he eventually did.

"If you want to talk, I'm here."

She blushed, but didn't say a thing.

"I'm just worried about you." He resumed with his usual neutral tone.

Her fists clenched around her backpack's harnesses. He insisted.

"Because I consider us good friends. You shouldn't be ashamed of telling me anything."

Mizuiro's eyes widened just a bit while her head turned in his direction.

"You do?" she muttered.

Shino decided to turn his neck towards her this time, seeing his perplexed mission partner.

"Don't you?"

She immediately looked at the ground, her face showing a color she didn't want him to see.

"Yes..."

Mizuiro couldn't help herself and smiled after saying this. If he really wanted a heart to heart talk, he could have it, but she couldn't tell him everything.

"I'm sorry I've been acting strange," she began. "I was nervous when I learned you would lead this mission."

It wasn't the main reason of her stress, but it wasn't a lie either.

"You shouldn't see me as an authority figure simply because I ended up leading this mission."

His answer was quick and well prepared, as if he already imagined the possibility of this situation.

"It has nothing to do with our friendship."

Mizuiro sighed happily. Now that she knew how he felt about her, it would definitely be easier. She could finally feel the butterflies in her stomach.