Ditched By My Own Best Friend

Monday 24th February

What's your favourite day? Christmas Day! Nah not really... I don't actually have a favourite day? Your questions have started to get really stupid. I mean, they were stupid before, but now? 

Today I go back to school - hoorary! Not. I spent a lot of last night trying to finish my homework. I woke up this morning with my chin stuck to a piece of biology homework. I've decided I don't really care about homework anyway. It'll be good to get back into a routine and hopefully forget about my brother's weird and sexually active friends. It'll also be great to see Josh again. I haven't seen him since Thursday! 

4:30pm: Today was rubbish - though what more do I expect from school? It started off alright. I found Josh reading a theory book in the tutor room and welcomed him with a hug. I thought it would be too awkward to randomly kiss him, but his lips found my cheek and I edged away, blushing furiously. 

"I missed you," I told him. He smiled softly at me. I know this sounds crazy but my heart melted at the sight of the corners of his lips curling upwards and a tiny dimple forming in his left cheek.

"It was three days," he said.

"You counted?" I grinned. I watched as his smile spread to his eyes. I kissed him quickly, it would've lasted longer if it wasn't for Fabien bursting through the door.

"Get your tongue out of Jade's mouth, I need to speak to you," Fabien muttered. Josh and I looked away from each other awkwardly and I moved to another seat. Fabien took mine and I pulled a face to the back of his greasy head. 

Josh caught my eye and smiled, then turned to a hushed conversation with Fabien, looking over at me every so often. I wondered if I was the topic of the conversation. But then I remembered it was probably Fabien checking up on Josh about his Mum. He does care about Josh in a brotherly way, it's good to know Fabien will always look out for him. I mean, I can't exactly go and beat anyone up for Josh, however much I would love to. I hit like...well....a girl...

I ran into Rhea later on who was moaning about how much she misses Charley. (He doesn't go to this school).

"Yesterday! Yesterday! It was so much fun after you left-"

"Cheers," I said drily. She's been driving me mad lately, with her constant chatter about the gorgeously tall Charley. Personally, I don't like him. The only good thing about him is the fact he is related to my boyfriend. And that's not exactly difficult. Seriously - isn't everyone in this school related to Josh? Oh gosh - what if I'm related to Josh? Anyway...I'm going off topic...

"Sorry, I didn't mean it like that..." Rhea said, chewing on her lip. I wanted to point out she had lipstick on her teeth but I was angry at her so I decided not to mention it. I know, I was feeling spiteful. But my best friend seems to have had her brain swapped with a loved up weirdo. I don't act like that, do I? I barely ever talk about Josh...

"Yeah, okay, well...What happened?" I asked, pretending like I cared.

"Oh!" she giggled. "It was so much fun - we were actually doing something other than kissing for once-"

"You stopped kissing after we left? Well that was a good idea," I grumbled.

"Jade, is something wrong?" she asked, confusion behind her eyes. 

"No, nothing," I said bluntly, standing up to leave. She grabbed my arm and looked me in the eyes.

"Jade, is something wrong?" she repeated.

And then I stared her right in the eyes and said the harsh truth, "Yes. You and your stupid Charley, that's what's wrong. You never shut up about him. I mean, fair enough you have a boyfriend and I'm really happy for you. But you know there are other things I'd like to talk about to. Like me finding my brother and my Dad after so many years. Or the weird creepy friends he has. Or the fact that I'm pretty scared about this relationship with Josh and where it might lead. And-"

She stared at me, "I'm sorry, Jade, but..."

"But what?" I spat.

"I just want to be happy for a few days and not listen to your...issues..." she said.

Now it was my turn to stare, "Issues? Rhea what are you saying?"

"I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that! I-" she knew she couldn't say anything else, so she left, her head drooped.

Was she seriously ditching me? Because I have 'issues'?

I went to find Josh and rant about her to him but he had his head in his hands. Unlike Rhea who would've continued to talk about her own life, I wrapped my arms around him and comforted him. I didn't ask any questions, I was too afraid of the answers anyway, we just hugged whilst he silently sat in pain.

Poor Josh.