Chapter 1 - Chosen (Rewritten)

(Chapter 1- A Chosen Mate)

I stood by Reagan's locker with her as she put away her books for the day, while we discussed our weekend plans like we normally did on Fridays but, in all honesty it's not like we had very many options.

It would most likely end up like every other weekend where I would go over to her house or she'd come to mine then we'd end up watching a bunch of movies where peoples lives were much more exciting then ours while stuffing our faces with junk food and that would be the end of it. We could probably win the award for two students in the whole school with the most uneventful lives. That is if such an award existed. For once I just wish something exciting would happen to us.

It's not like either of us had boyfriends or mates either so all we had were each other. I swear we'll probably end up growing old and living together with a bunch of cats to keep us company before we find our mates. It just looked hopeless.

Well actually I guess that's not true because if we haven't found our mates by the time we turn 18 then Alpha Stevens will find one for us. Wolves in his pack weren't allowed to go unmated. Apparently it made the pack look weak and the chances of anyone finding their true mate was slim to none. That was not something that happened often around here. But me being the hopeless romantic I was I couldn't help but hope for the best.

I mean maybe, just maybe he was out there somewhere looking for me and one day soon we will run into each other and fall deeply in love and live out the rest of our lives together. It's a nice story, isn't it? I just hope it gets to happen for me. After all there's nothing wrong with hoping, right?

Reagan continued rambling on about this new guy that just started school here which I was only half listening to because I often get distracted by my thoughts. But whatever it was she was saying about him she definitely seemed excited about it. She wanted to find out more about him.

"So that's why I thought we'd go to the beach this weekend. Word around school is he likes to go there to surf." She finished.

"Whoa, you mean you actually want to make a physical appearance where only the cool kids hang out?" I asked.

She must be out of her mind. None of them would want us there. We aren't exactly cool kid material. We're the loners. I'm sure Tyler and his group of followers wouldn't like us crashing "their scene."

We'll he's actually not that bad. I mean he occasionally says hi to me and gives me a lazy wave but that's about it. I wouldn't call us best friends or anything. In fact I think the only reason he does that much is because is because he's next in line to be Alpha so he's trying to be sociable to everyone. After all that's what the Alpha had to do.

"But Ky, what if he's my mate?"

"What's the point? We're going to have to end our relationships when we find our mates anyway." I stated.

"But what if he is my mate?"

"If he was, then you would know. They say when you see them for the first time that you will feel it immediately." I stated.

"Well, I didn't actually make eye contact with him, does that count?" She asked hopeful.

Hmm.... that's actually a good question.

"Well...I've no idea." I admit honestly.

She gently closed her locker and turned down the empty hallways of the school we me in tow. As we reached the exit she pushed open the door and the warm sun came streaming in. Well at least it's a pretty day. Our walk home should be enjoyable.

Neither Reagan, nor I, had a car so we had to walked to school and back pretty much every day. That is unless one of our parents gave us a ride which wasn't very often.