seven

chapter seven

interlude...

kenzie's apartment...
four days later...

eleven am...

"Jake, are you about ready to go?" Kenzie called, sitting on the side of the bed tying his shoelaces. Jake was in the en-suite bathroom, brushing his teeth. He's only gotten back to the apartment about 30 minutes earlier since he'd covered an early shift at the precinct for Zach who had to take his daughter for her vaccines before she started pre-school in the fall. Zach had only needed Jake to cover him for four hours, so Jake got home early.

"Nearly!" Jake said, his voice garbled by his toothbrush. Kenzie rolled his eyes with a fond smile, getting up and leaning against the door frame. Jake had changed out of his usual plaid shirt, jeans, hoodie/leather jacket combo and trainers into a smarter checked shirt, his good jeans, smart shoes, his special occasions jacket ( which was over the back of the sofa beside Kenzie's to grab on their way out ) and a tie. "Do you think Abby will like the gift we got her?"

"Absolutely," Kenzie assured his boyfriend as he slipped past, sitting on the end of the bed and putting his shoes on. "She loves you. She loves everything you give her, she'll love this too."

"Right." Jake nodded, still a little nervous.

"Babe." Kenzie stood in front of Jake, putting his hands on each side of his face, thumbs stroking his cheeks. "Relax. Everything's going to go great. It's not a big party, it's just us, Captain and Lieutenant Braugher, Abby's siblings and their Godparents. Everything's going to be fine."

"You're right." Jake nodded, gripping Kenzie's wrists. Kenzie leant down, kissing Jake softly. Jake returned enthusiastically, one hand fisting in Kenzie's shirt to keep him close. Kenzie pulled back, breathing harsh, smiling at Jake's dazed and somewhat turned on expression.