Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I'm ready and waiting for Justin at 4am. Well, I was ready at about 3am, but I'm not going to tell him that. I think I might have gone overboard with the training in the night, because my arms feel a little heavy right now. Either I did too much or I've been slacking off and I'm paying the price after a good session. Either way, I know I need to keep up this level of training to be able to fight properly when the time eventually comes.

Justin is right on time when he opens my door. He mutters a good morning and ushers me down the stairs before grabbing some items out of the refrigerator. I eye him cautiously as he retrieves eggs and sausage meat, along with various vegetables.

“We're going to make omelets, sausage and pancakes. You ever made any of those?”

I shoot him a look and chuckle as I say, “Really?”

“What? I'm just asking. I want to see how much experience you have...”

I can't help myself and I quip, “Oh, way more than you know...”

I burst out laughing at his confused look. At my laughter his look morphs into one of recognition and he chuckles, “Ok, you caught me on that one. I wasn't expecting that.”

“I thought you said I couldn't get anything passed you...”

“A joke is hardly important, is it? When it matters you can't get things passed me.”

“Whatever.”

He eyes me cautiously and asks, “If I ask you to cut these vegetables, can I trust that you're not going to use that knife against me or anyone else?”

I scoff, “I don't need a knife. If I want to do damage, I'll just use my fists.”

“Maybe not today, seeing as your arms are tired...”

“Everyday, dude.”

“You're not even going to ask how I know your arms are tired?”

“That would suggest I care, which I don't. So, no.”

“I heard you in the night. I hear you every night. You want to talk about why you don't sleep for more than 2 or 3 hours? Why you always spend the rest of the time exercising and training?”

“You've read my file, so you tell me all about it.”

“Believe it or not, not everything is in your file. The basics are there, but not what happened without the system knowing. You seem like the type to keep things to yourself. It'll only consume you if you don't talk to someone about it...”

“Really? It's a good job I'm just fine then, isn't it? There's nothing to talk about, thanks for your concern.”

“Why do you have to be so stubborn and closed off? You're going to be here for a long time, especially at the rate you're going currently. You may as well make the most of it.”

“Thanks for the advice, but I'll pass on that. I don't know any of you people and I have no intention of making friends.”

“It'll make things much easier if you just tried to get along with people...”

I chuckle but say nothing. I just continue to chop the vegetables. After a few minutes of silence, Justin breaks the silence, “So, tell me something about yourself? Something that's not in that file you keep talking about...”

I narrow my eyes and try to figure out what his game is.

“What are you doing? Why are you asking me questions?”