Chapter Two

Chapter Two

So, I guess I should introduce myself. As you already know, my name is Arya Flynn and I'm currently sitting in a holding cell in one of the police precincts in New York City, courtesy of New York's finest. I suppose it's not that bad. I mean, I get something to eat and I'm relatively safe, I suppose. I'm still sitting at the back of the cell, making sure I can watch everything and everyone. A few people have come and gone since I was put in here. I guess I'm just waiting for my arraignment. It seems pretty clear cut to me. The guy's a jerk and he tried to grab me, so I punched his face in. Knowing my luck, they'll punish me for defending myself.

As you can probably tell, I'm no stranger to the cops and the system. I've been in and out of precincts since I was a kid. What can I say? I must like trouble or it follows me everywhere I go. Whatever way you want to look at it. I don't particularly care to be honest. I've got no family so no one will be bailing me out. I just have to sit here and wait to find out what they're doing with me.

Palmer appears the next morning, but Rogers isn't with him. I can't resist making a comment, “What? Your bum buddy not with you today? Is he feeling alright? I do hope he's not coming down with something...”

“Cut the cracks. I thought you might appreciate him not being here, after what he said yesterday.”

I chuckle, “How sweet... not. I don't care, Palmer. What he said was wrong so I dealt with it. After that, I don't care.”

I roll my shoulders before backing up to the bars. I know the drill. He won't open the cell door before my cuffs are on in case I knock him out and take off. The thought has crossed my mind, but if asked, I won't admit to it.

He watches me roll my shoulders and he asks, “Did you even sleep?”

“Are you for real?”

“What?”

“Don't act like you're concerned. Let's just get on with this. I'm just another collar for you, so let's cut the personal junk.”

I'm not going to admit to him that I didn't sleep, because then I'd have to deal with his questions on why, and those I will never answer.

Palmer walks me into an interview room, where he takes my statement. He leaves me there, cuffed to the table after someone knocks on the window. I'm bored and I just want out of here now. I want to get back on the streets. I'm drumming on the table and bouncing my leg when Palmer and a lady walk into the room. They have similar eyes and their hair is the same dark brown, but before I can analyze any further Palmer speaks.

“Arya, this is Assistant District Attorney Emma Palmer...”

I burst out laughing and they both stare at me like I've lost my mind. Maybe an insanity plea will solve all my problems.

“Arya, are you ok?”

I stare at Palmer and say, “She's your sister. You going soft on me, Palmer? Here's me thinking you're gonna be a hard man and throw the book at me, even when I was just defending myself, but you're going soft. You've disappointed me, man. I expected more of you...”

The ADA interrupts me, “I assure you, Miss Flynn, that he's not going easy on you. However, it may be that you were defending yourself, this time, but I have looked over your record. You have quite an impressive wrap sheet for a 21 year old.”

“What can I say? I live to impress you guys.”

“You will remember that you resisted arrest a few weeks ago and then, on the same occasion, you escaped from custody...”