Chapter Six

Chapter Six

I jump awake and glance at the clock that's on the bedside table. It's 3:26am. I wasn't asleep for long, the last time I looked at the clock it read 3am. It was long enough to shake me, so I jump out of bed and start doing some sit ups and press ups. I need to stay fit as much as possible, especially if I plan on fighting at any point. I need to get to a pay phone. I need to make that call, but I can't do it from here. They'll trace the call or whatever these guys do.

After completing my whole exercise regime for the second time I quickly shower and change into a t shirt and jeans. I put my biker boots back on and wait for Justin to open the door. I'm sitting on the edge of the bed, watching the minutes change on the clock, when the door opens at 5am sharp. Literally the digital timer just changed from 4:59 to 5:00. I guess that's the rigidity of the Marines or whatever.

Justin glances at me with a strange look on his face before muttering a greeting. I don't reply, I just nod in acknowledgement.

“Did you sleep ok?”

“Fine.”

I see his eyebrows furrow but then he nods and motions for me to step out of the room. He's actually serious about me being within his reach at all times. Where does he think I'm going to go? We're in the middle of nowhere. I don't even know where or what the nearest town is and it's not like I'm going to get anywhere in a hurry, considering I'll be on foot. Maybe he's more concerned about the damage I might cause. To be honest, I'd actually really like to take this guy on. With his training, he'd be an awesome opponent. It might give me some tips on where I can brush up on my techniques.

I can feel my stomach churn at the smell of food cooking. There's so many wonderful smells and I so want to eat the food, but I don't want to give him the satisfaction of having one over on me. I at least want to show some resistance. I know I'll have to eat eventually, but I want to show him just how strong I really am. As we walk into the kitchen, there's another girl and 2 guys sitting at the breakfast bar. I stop walking, so I can watch them for a minute, trying to get a read on them.

The girl looks quiet and pretty shy, so I don't see her being a problem. One of the guys looks like a typical jock, arrogant and annoying. I can see him being a problem. The other guy looks a little more quiet, but not in a shy way. Like he's confident in himself, but not in a cocky way. He's a little older than the other 2 and muscular, so if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say he's in the armed forces as well.

“Guys, this is Arya. She'll be staying here for a little while. Ayra, this is Louise, Todd and Mike.”

The 2 guys send me a little wave when Justin says their names. Todd is the cocky one and the slimy grin he sends me instantly causes my dislike for him. Mike just sends me a small smile and gets back to his food. Justin shows me to a seat next to Louise and opposite the boys. He sits next to me, like he's worried I'm going to run. It's almost like being in social care or in a juvenile detention centre. Great stuff. I told you jail was a better option. At least there, I could get into fights and then be thrown into solitary confinement.

Justin hands me a plate with food already dished on it. I just stare at the full plate and resist the urge to take anything. I don't want to give in just yet. Yes, I'm proud and bull headed, I know this about myself. But giving in is a sign of weakness, something that's very important for me not to do. I do, however, take the cup of black coffee and hold it in one of my hands.

Todd is the first to speak, “So, why are you here? What did you do?”

I just stare at him. Maybe if I ignore him, he'll vanish or something. His accent is not the same as Justin's, so I'm assuming he's not from the 'deep south'.