Pen Pals

I couldn’t get his face out of my mind. Why would he do such a thing? I felt sorry for the kids parents who had to go through that, but hated how they thought I did it. I didn’t even know him yet since I disappeared from the party I’m a big suspect. Great. I was so scared driving to the police station. They had asked me so many questions but I barley answered them. Rouge picked me up and took me home in silence. At the time I thought she thought I did it too, but why? I didn’t want to hurt anybody I wouldn’t hurt a fly. When I had gotten home I ran up to my room before Rouge and Billy could sit me down for a talk. I was so tired I just needed some sleep. I set my alarm for 9’O clock.

It was strange, the way I was acting. I wasn’t doing anything, not trying to find him, not trying to stop him. So I made a promise to myself that in the morning I was going to find him, no more games. 

‘Riiiiiiiiiiiiiing!’ 

My alarm clock rang loudly in my ears.

“OK, OK I’m up!” I said reaching for the snooze button. 

I felt around my side table but I couldn’t reach the clock. I sat up slowly and saw that it was on my desk on the other side of the room. I frowned.

“How did you get over there?” I whispered. I shook it of took a shower and got dressed. I heard a little ping in my purse. My phone.

‘Hey Its Alex wanna hang out?’ How did he get my number? Claudia! I texted back.

‘What did you have in mind?’ I ran down stairs for breakfast then heard a noise in the kitchen.

I walked in and saw Amelia in her uniform, she was making coffee. Next to the coffee maker were several mugs. Sitting at the table were five men, four in police uniforms and one in a suit. They were talking to Billy and Rouge. They all looked up when I entered the room. I smiled and walked over to the bench where Amelia had put my toast. I ate quietly and when I finished I was asked to join them at the table. 

“Hello Valentine, I’m Mr. Withers and I am here to ask you a few questions about last night if that’s all right with you?” I opened my mouth to answer but was cut off.

“Of course it is. Now, you said you didn’t know Matthew, is that correct?” He asked. I frowned from being cut off.

“Yes, I’m still new so I don’t know many people.” I said staring into his brown eyes.

“What were you doing the night of the murder?”

“I was down by the beach with a friend.”

“Was that friend Matthew?” He asked leaning forward a bit in his chair.

“No. It was Alex Riley.”

“Are you and Alex close?” What! I was shocked my face went pale.

“Wha-what do you mean?” I asked.

“I mean as in boyfriend and girlfriend?” He asked it so calmly.

“Ew! No, I just met him like a couple days ago. There is nothing going on between us!” I stood up and walked over to the kitchen and picked up a mug of coffee. I needed to calm down, take a deep breathe and think things over. Rouge came over to me and played with my hair.

“Hey honey, how are you feeling? I can ask them to come back later if It’s too early or...?” She trailed off hoping I’d say something but I just shook my head and sat down again ready for more questions.

“Sorry.” I said taking another sip from my cup.

“I think we can forget about that now and move on.” I nodded.

“Have you been going through a rough time lately? A death in the family, trouble with friends?” 

I shook my head.

“I was adopted. Like I said before I don’t know many people.”

The police men didn’t take their eyes off of Rouge. I think they found a new crush. Ha-ha! The man in the suit kept asking me questions but I didn’t answer any of them. They left two hours later! I checked my phone to find a new message waiting.

‘Wanna go out for pizza?’ I smiled and texted back.

‘Is Claud going?’ I waited for a reply.

“Valentine can you come here for a sec Hun?” I heard Rouge’s voice down stairs. I stood up and went to her.

“What’s up?” I said walking into the hall where Rouge was crouched at a vent.

“Um Hun? Wasn’t this in that package that came for you?” She was holding a teddy. 

My eyes grew wide and I grabbed it out of her hands.

I ran up the stairs.

“Hey! Wait what is that?” She called after me.

“Nothing don’t worry!” I ran into my room grabbed the pair of scissors.

Sitting on my bed I cut the stitches around it’s head. I pulled the head off and reached my hand inside.

I felt something hard and small. When I pulled my hand out there was a key and a note in it.

I read the note and put it on my bedside table. I took a deep breathe and examined the key. I went to my desk and opened my jewelry box, took out a long piece of string and put the key through the string with the other key from the jar. I then reached over for the note and read through it again thoroughly.

‘6 feet under, 6 feet under, use a shovel to recover what’s hidden down under.’ This isn’t the first note he has given me the first one I found in the jar with the other key under the trap door. It said

‘Inside the doll, I hide, I’ll follow close behind.’ 

I was only five when I found it. It was when everyone in the orphanage were playing hide and seek. It was in a glass jar under the trap door. 

I don’t know what the keys open but I think that every time I find one it gives me a clue to where the next one is hidden. I repeat in my head

‘6 feet under, 6 feet under, use a shovel to recover what’s hidden down under.’