Chapter 1- Meetings and nightmares

Hi im Abbie and i like to write horror stories :) Hope you enjoy this one, its my first :) xx

_______________________________

‘Beep... Beep...Beeeeeeeep.’

“Please stop, go away!” I screamed.

“Shut up. Stop this right now!” Dianne yelled in my ear.

“For gods sake!”

The cold water woke me as it hit my sweaty face. She lifted my head out of the bucket to let me breathe but only for a few seconds until I found myself back under the waters icy grip. 

 I looked down at the blank paper in front of me and sharpened my small pencil. Taking a deep breathe I drew a line through the middle of the paper. When I got to the middle I pressed harder making jagged lines like a heart beat. My room got colder and I herd a deep voice whisper something in my ear

‘Come to me’ I shivered.

It’s terrible, waking up every morning screaming your lungs out, trying to get away from the thing that scares you the most. I looked around the empty room. There’s a knock on my door.

“Valentine! Are you ready yet? There is a couple waiting to meet you.” Dianne said from the other side of the door. “ I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t take you.” I herd her mumble, thinking I wouldn’t hear. I put down my pencil and walked over to a tiny table with a cracked mirror hidden in one of the corners of my room. I picked up a comb sitting on the stool and roughly brushed the knots out of my bright blonde hair, my green eyes looked puffed in the cracked mirror. 

“Nearly done Dianne” I said back.

It’s hard to believe that someone wanted to see me, everyone usually wants the little kids not a 15 year old girl. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t want me, especially because of all the nightmares and don’t get me wrong I really did want a new family with a mother who would sew me dresses and a father who would teach me how to ride a bike, and hey maybe even a little brother or sister but no, Dianne always finds a way to make them leave without me.

“This time Val, for sure. You can do this.” I said to myself with a positive tone.

I opened my door and a tall dark haired women was standing in the way, she was tapping her foot with a facial expression I would never forget. The glare she gave me made multiple wrinkles appear on her forehead. I have no idea what always made her so grumpy!

She looked down at me in my pail blue dress and pushed me lightly towards the steps. My heels make a clicking noise as I made my way down into her office. Dianne’s office is the one of the biggest rooms in the entire Orphanage second to the dining hall, it had a dark wooden desk that had sheets of paper with children’s names and pictures on them, two chairs, a book shelf and a fire place. Sitting in the two chairs in front of the desk was a young couple, maybe in their thirties. 

They both stood up with welcoming smiles.

“Hello, you must be Valentine my name is Rouge.” The women said bending down giving me her hand, I took it, her accent was very strange. Her long red hair was dangling over her petite face, she blew some strands away with her red lips.

Once she straightened up again the man

Knelt, his smile getting bigger. 

“Hey there little lady! I’m William but you can call me Billy.” He gave my hand a shake, I struggled a smile on my face and the couple took their seats again. I sat down on an extra chair that was put next to Dianne behind her desk.

“Valentine this is Mr. And Mrs. Ranthrow, go on girl say hello”

“Hello” I said shaking.

The three of them started talking about me, allergies, Birthday, health problems and school.

School, I had never been to school before I wondered what it would be like until I was asked

“So Valentine what do you like?” Billy asked with an eager look on his face.

“What do you mean?” I don’t know what I like I haven’t really thought about that before.

“As in hobbies, do you play sport?” Rouge said smiling. I freeze for a second and look up at Dianne who was staring at me wondering if I was going to speak. I have never in my entire life played sport, Dianne wouldn’t let anyone play with the balls outside ‘because their just there to look good’ she would say. I shook my head.

“She doesn’t seem to have any interests in anything, but she does seem to draw an awful lot. She barely comes out of her room and I always try to get her to go down stairs and play with everyone else.” Dianne said turning them away from me. That’s a lie and she knew it we both did. At daytime when everyone else were eating or doing chores I was locked down in the basement hidden away from the world, why you ask? You’ll soon find out. 

“I almost forgot to mention that Valentine has trouble sleeping at night...” She started.

“In what way?” Rouge asked.

“Nightmares, I don’t know what goes through that girls mind when she is asleep but she’s always screaming and waking everyone up, it’s not healthy” Dianne looked at me for a second with a concerned look and then back at the couple.

“We’ll just have to work around it”

Dianne wasn’t pleased with her answer

She kept talking and every couple of seconds Rouge would look over at me and smile sadly.

“Valentine I would really like to see some of your drawings before I go if you will let me.” Rouge said to me after the interview had finished and Billy was talking to Dianne. 

“Really?” She nods “OK” I said leading her up the stairs to my room. 

I didn’t draw all the time because Dianne wouldn’t buy me any paper or a new pencil I’m only aloud one and when that ran out I wasn’t aloud to get another one. The things I drew came from my head, I didn’t have something placed in front of me to copy. 

I shuffled all of the paper into one neat pile on my desk as Rouge took a seat on my chair leaving me to stand. She examined all of my drawings one by one. 

“Valentine these are amazing, how did you learn to draw like this?” Rouge said wide eyed. 

“I don’t know, I just pick up a pencil and I can’t stop!” I said shrugging.

“Yes, but where do you get your inspiration from?” She started going through them again and putting a few in a pile.

“These are my favorite’s” she said smiling and showed me.

She had chosen five pictures, the first one was completely black except for two red ovals as eyes. The next three were a bit different and were drawings of a doll that looked very sad and had a knife in it’s hand while sitting in a corner. When she got to the last picture my heart started beating rapidly, I couldn’t breathe. I herd the voice again faintly as I looked into the man’s bloody eyes in the picture.

“Valentine, what is wrong?” Rouge said putting her hand on my shoulder.

I didn’t answer I just stood there frozen. 

After a couple of seconds I shook my head and said, 

“Nothing it’s fine, can we go back down stairs?”

She nodded and we made our way down the stairs.