Ch7: Converse & Confessions

"I've got the kerosene and the desire.

I'm trying to start a flame in the heart of the night"- The Fray

•Avery•

I was speechless as I saw Jace kneeling down in front of Dianne. I felt anger and hurt surge through me. I dropped the clothes to the ground and ran out of the store. I heard people call my name but I kept running. I rushed into the streets of this unknown busy city. Tears fell down my face and I kept running and running. I felt so betrayed and I felt so hurt, i would run away and i wont ever look back.

I felt exhausted and I felt my legs aching but I didn't stop, I kept running. Until it was impossible for me to go on. I staggered to the ground. I looked to how far i'd gotten. I was quite far. I sat down under a tree...

I was angry, hurt, broken.. And it was all my fault.

My mind flashed back to when i came home from school to see my house empty. My mom was no where to be found.

The phone rang.

I picked it up

"hello?" I said

The woman on the other line said

"Hello? Avery? Sweetie are you alright?"

"Yes, Alison. Why?" I replied, unknown of what was coming to me..

"listen. Stay there, I'll be there in 15 minutes alright" She said frantically and hung up.

I remember Alison telling me that my parents had gone to Heaven.

I remember how she told me their car had crashed.

I remember losing my faith in everything.

I remember losing my mind.

I couldn't think, I couldn't speak.

my 10 year old self lost all life in her

As I grew older. Alison started going on these long business trips that lasted for months. She would send me a check once a month that didn't quite meet the requirement. But I didn't want to be a burden, so I took small odd jobs until Millie hired me. I lost all friends I used to have. In my opinion to this day. Love doesn't exist. People leave. We all have to survive alone.

And it was entirely my fault that I had attached myself to him. It was my fault that I had thought that maybe he would prove my beliefs wrong. It was all my fault. The tears kept falling and I found myself in a place I'd never been before.

I'd never felt so lonely and hated and broken. Maybe he meant more to me than I had realised, and I realised it for the worse.

I wiped my tears away and decided that, even if i did maybe... Had developed these undeniable.. Feelings for Jace. I would keep my distance and be professional. If that Dianne made him happy, then so be it.

I would close this case down. Fly back to my average ordinary life and survive alone like I always do.

I should never have hoped for more than that.

I got up. An old beat up red truck passed me, I saw two very familiar faces. Ian Princeton.. And Dahlia Herman...

I didn't know what to make of it but I made a mental note to think over it later

I had left my purse in the store, luckily I always kept a small amount of money in my shoes. I took off my Ballet flat and went back into the city to get a taxi. Going back to the store was out of question.

I called a taxi and went back to The Duke's Estate.

"Sometimes it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead" Adele's lyrics flashed through my mind.