Ch1: Bubblegum & The British

"Time can heal, but the scars only hide the way you feel,

And it's hard to forget how I left you hanging"- Daughtry

• Avery Brooks •

"you have to be perfect around them, do you understand me?" Millie Hampton said to me as i sat in her office, feet up on her table, snapping my gum loudly. I was looking outside at the huge skyscrapers. The sky outside seemed so serene, and the city so busy. Anyways, I was a professional at this, I didn't know why Millie even doubted me. She did say this job was a hard one, but I had to take it.  

"Ofcourse. Anything else?" I asked her. 

"you'll be leaving first thing tomorrow morning, don't bother packing. I will bring your luggage. Meet me at the airport at 7 am." Millie said, straightening out her business suit. 

"Sure. I'll be there" I said, casually snapping my gum.

"Avery. This is a tough one. You need to be good at this. I've had to argue with high people because you're underage" Millie sighed 

"I'm 17, Mills. I can do it. I've never let you down before. I'll meet you at the airport." I said and walked out with My bag pack.

Sometimes I kind of wondered why I wasn't like any other ordinary teenager. Taking a job at a diner and trying to pay my bills because my parents died when I was 10. I didn't have a proper guardian. I lived with my moms old friend Alison Hubert who was rarely home. Went to a regular school. The most hidden and weird part of my life? I worked as an undercover agent. I had been doing so for 2 years. I got the job when Millie saw me scamming our neighbour Ms. Willers into giving me money for a skateboard.

I took the job because The money was good, payed the bills. The adventure was the best, actually. 

But it was risky. And Thats why i loved it.

I walked towards our dingy apartment and fell down on my unmade bed. Millie didn't give me much details to what I was exactly in for. We would fly to England. I had to pretend to be the niece of a Duke. My *ahem* Uncle was sure that someone was going to kill him. He said he had received threat notes and so on. And that's probably where I came in. Millie said it looked like an unprofessional murder attempt. So I would be best for this.. 

I was known for being persuasive. Besides, i had nothing to lose. 

I threw out the bubblegum and went to sleep. Tomorrow was gonna be a long day.