Ch6: The Portrait and the Red Rose

• Dedicated to Warda <3

"Never thought i'd fall in love

Now i stand corrected,

Never thought i'd feel what i feel

Never been so affected" - Miranda Cosgrove

•Avery•

Who in their right mind would believe this?! Definitely an amateur working up some trouble was behind this.

Genevieve had died. Not recently, TEN years ago.

This was just a silly prank.

I feel disgusted.

The watermark on the page was just like the ones i had in my room.

The person was using Duke Henry's stationary. This definitely seemed like an inside job.

"what's this charity ball mentioned here?" I asked Jace, who looked as much surprised as I was.

"it's a ball that's held every year. For charity of course. Everyone in the royal family attends it. It's on Sunday. 3 days from now" Jace explained

"isn't that a rather open area to be thinking of killing him?" I asked in doubt

"it is. Actually, but it's really crowded so maybe it has a good exit plan" Jace reasoned.

I called Millie and told her everything, she told me to meet her tomorrow morning with Jace at the hotel. I agreed and hung up.

Later that night, during dinner. I was introduced to Ben. Who seemed like a good natured person. He was in on the whole secret agent thing. Duke Henry was running a little late so it was only us 3 on the table.

"This last note frightens me to be honest" Ben said.

"there's nothing to be frightened about, Ben. It's just some amateur trying to mess with your family" Jace reasoned.

"yes. Exactly. No one in their right mind would want us to believe that your mother is Alive. This person looks slightly deranged" I said, taking a sip of water

"that makes it worse" Ben cracked a smile. Duke Henry entered the dining room looking famished and nervous. He sat down on his place

"Avery. I take it you have something for me" The duke asked

"yes, Duke Henry" I handed him the note. He took his time to read it and I saw his eyes moisten with tears.

"oh this is uncanny. Absolutely disgusting how he's using my dear wife as bait. I saw them put her in a coffin and bury her. How would they expect me to believe these lies" he flicked the paper towards me. He looked angry.

•Jace•

The duke was in rage. He got back up without eating anything and said

"I will meet this person face to face on the charity ball. You two will be the only security I will take with me. You will hide out and observe, and protect if necessary. Have I made myself clear?"

"Yes, sir" I agreed and Avery nodded as well

"Father. You must eat something" Ben said to his father, looking worried about Duke's decision.

"No, Benjamin. I am fine and would like to rest" Duke Henry replied.

"but Father, it's far too dangerous for you to go out there and meet them" Ben said in a haste

"what has to be done. Has to be done. Benjamin, please inform Ian that We will be attending the Charity ball, after all. I refused him the first time he sent the invite. Good night everyone" Duke Henry said and departed, his advisor rushing to his side as he disappeared off.