Chapter Sixteen: War Games

They were all assembled in the same spot they were before each drill. The empty space between the great wall and the camp. The air was unusually still, making vision unnaturally easy across the normally hazy and dusty cityscape. It wasn't long before Kestrel arrived and climbed atop his makeshift stage, pulling his rifle out of the sling on his back. 

There were far more people than there were the first time everyone had gathered in that space. Kestrel had integrated his existing forces, and most of Pine's officers into his ranks, placing them into training where he figured it would be most beneficial. Some had more in-field experience than others, but at that point, Kestrel saw them as equals and would treat them as such. 

Matt watched the smile creep onto Kestrel's face. One that could no doubt be of pride. All of his soldiers were dressed in the best gear they could scrounge up and they were finally looking like real warriors. Matt had even put on the leather coat he brought with him, figuring it was more appropriate than his usual shirt and pants. He liked the extra weight atop his shoulders, and found that it did a good job of keeping the sun off of his skin. Though he feared in the full heat of the sun, he would just cook beneath it. 

Checking the holsters slung about his hips - one on each - Matt made sure both his revolver and the Multi-Tool were securely fastened. He had spoken with Chuck Barlow, the man in charge of Kestrel's armoury, and he had agreed to repair it for a small fee. It was a good thing Margaret had given Matt that bag of money, even though he hadn't expected to use it. He had doubted anyone still used the old currency. Turned out he was wrong. 

The Multi-Tool, or the Tool, as Matt had taken to calling it, rested on his left hip and thigh, and even though he didn't expect to ever need it in training, he didn't doubt it's use on the battlefield. He knew that they'd be using their guns for the most part, but if anything ever turned into a melee, Matt expected he'd have the advantage. 

Satisfied that everything was in its place, Matt returned his attention to Kestrel, who appeared as if he was about to speak. 

"Here we all are, one month in. And look at you all, you're already shaping up to be soldiers, freedom fighters! Today is a very special day. To mark the end of the month, we are going to have our first combat simulation. Out beyond this wall the plains offer the perfect staging area to test you all on what you have learned , and to test your mettle.You won't be using live rounds, but rather rubber bullets tipped with a paint canister. These bullets won't kill you, but it'll hurt like hell if you get hit. You get paint on you, you're out. 

You'll be divided into two teams of equal size. And you'll both have a 'home base' of sorts. In this base is a flag of your team's colour. Don't let the other team take it and get it back to their base. If that happens, it's game over. Or, if you think you're capable, just get everyone on the other team out, and then last team standing wins. 

Alright, now to put you onto your respective teams. When I call your name please step forwards," 

It was at the base of a shallow hill that Red team stood, all huddled closely around the team captain, a man by the name of Derek Jones. Kestrel had used a particularly fertile area of the plains to set up the game, and Matt was excited to go into the small forest that still stood beyond Foundation. The trees were thin and short, but still offered enough cover to hide a small fighting force within. 

Matt envied the blue team for winning the coin toss, and gaining the advantage of cover. As soon as him and team were to crest the hill, they could easily be fired upon and decimated. He hoped their captain would devise a suitable plan for he did not want to embarrass himself by getting out very early. Matt didn't doubt Kestrel was going to use this to select officers or special task groups. If anyone displayed an outstanding performance this early, Matt was sure it would be rewarded. And Matt wanted in on such an opportunity. He figured that way, he'd have more chances of stumbling upon his father again, and the next time he wouldn't fumble it.