Chapter 33: Friend or Foe?

The landscape was quiet and dead, just like every other day out in the wastes. But Matt wouldn’t move from the windowsill until Bear woke. He wouldn’t even look away for a moment, save for checking on the old man’s breathing. It was steady and soft, as if the big guy was just taking an afternoon nap. The bleeding had stopped quickly as well, and the bandage that was now wrapped around the Bear’s forehead was still white, something Matt was grateful for. He didn’t know how he’d get the both of them home if the Bear didn’t heal. It hadn’t seemed bad before, and neither of them had been hit, but Matt couldn’t help but expect the worst.

With his rifle shouldered, and his eyes just beyond the edge of the window, Matt watched.  He had started watching as soon as day had broke. Even though he knew a night watch was needed, he decided sleep would help him more with the new day. He didn’t know what he was looking for, or if he really was waiting for anything, but he watched, knowing there would be no surprises. The back of the hut’s windows were boarded over, and there was no back door, so Matt had the one view against any potential assailants. He had carried all of the useful equipment from the truck inside both for protection and incase anything drastic happened. He hoped he wouldn’t need that grenade launcher.

Eyeing the truck, Matt forlornly wished that he knew how to drive. Then they’d both be back at base, and the Bear would be able to see a real medic. If the truck was even working anymore. The hood had taken a lot of fire, and it was likely the engine had absorbed a few bullets as well. Matt shook his head, unable to fathom what had come over the Bear. That look of hate upon his face, and the way he drove through the raiders, mowing them down like animals. Matt knew the explanation would be like drawing poison from a wound, slow and painful. 

Matt blinked hard as he saw a silhouette appear at the edge of his vision. A hazy figure marching forwards, seemingly headed straight for them. Wiping his eyes, Matt tried to clear the mirage from his sight. But the figure would not go. So he waited. Watching the figure get closer, Matt could slowly make out features. The outline of a long rifle, a long coat billowing in the wind. The man, if it was a man, seemed to be wearing a helmet with a respirator, judging by the tube running over his shoulder. Matt’s heart jumped, an Ascendancy trooper! 

“Shit, shit, shit!” Matt cursed under his breath as he bounded over to where the Bear lay, still out cold. Grabbing his shoulders he tried to shake him awake, but the big man’s eyes didn’t even flutter. 

“Goddamnit man! Wake up!” Matt shouted, smacking the Bear across the face. The man blinked. 

“Bear? You there? Come in Bear . . .” Matt said, a little calmer now and a hand on the man’s shoulder.

The Bear’s eyes opened slowly before he entered a fit of coughing before hacking up phlegm. “Sorry,” he coughed out. After taking a deep breath he sat up and asked, “why do I feel like I got run over by a train?”

“Well it’s close enough,” Matt muttered.

“Pardon?”

“You don’t remember driving the truck into the side of a house?”

“No, no, I remember that now. Sorry, I just . . .”

“No time for apologies, we might have one of those big guys from the Ascendancy on us!”

The Bear bolted up, searching for his rifle. He scooped it up from where it was rested against the wall and stacked up by the window. “Where?” 

Matt joined him and scanned the field, hoping the man hadn’t gotten far. He hadn’t. And with some subtle pointing, the Bear had him in his sights too. 

“Certainly seems like it, with that get up he’s in. All he lacks is the size. Those troopers are usually a head taller than me and he looks my height if not shorter. But let’s not count him out. I have no idea what those bastards have been developing. Keep your eye on him, I need to sit down.”