Chapter Nine: Foundations of Steel

The thud of the heavy iron gates gave Matt a sense of foreboding as they closed noisily behind him, the sound reminding him that now there was no way out. He'd have to stay on his feet and watch his mouth. They still had to make it out of the city alive and he wasn't sure how the sheriff felt about them. For all he knew, the man was just letting them in so he could execute them quietly. Have his men bind their hands and blindfold them, prop them against the wall and fire those nice and shiny rifles, spattering their brains against the silver metal, erasing them from existence in a strange town, where no one knows them and no one will remember them. 

The feel of Emma's hand against his shoulder tore Matt from his thoughts, something he was thankful for. The girls' hair tickled his neck as she leaned in close, placing her lips close to his ear as she began to whisper a question.

"Ok, so we're in. I'd like to be informed of the plan . . . I'm getting a weird feeling. I'm not really liking the stares we are getting from the people here. They are a little cold,"  She said, causing Matt to shiver every time one of her lips grazed his ear.

"Well, I figured we would talk to this sheriff guy and try and get some information out of him. He clearly knows something about the soldiers and I think he wants to hear our stories so, maybe he'll be willing to trade. Either that or he can point those guns in our faces and force us to talk, but I'm hoping he'll be civil. And you're right, you'd find more cheer in a graveyard" Matt replied, keeping his voice low.

Scanning his eyes down the gravel road that made up the main stretch of the city, Matt was amazed that he could not see the far wall from where he stood. It was too far away too bring into focus. The city was much larger than he had originally imagined! It must have housed hundreds of people if not thousands.

"Look around," Emma began, her volume rising a little from excitement. "See the people all standing, staring? There are no women, no girls,"

Making sure he did not appear too conspicuous, Matt swiveled his head, gazing all around, inspecting the people now congregating outside their homes, clearly intrigued by the new visitors. Matt guessed the gates didn't open too often and wondered if there was some sort of farmland tucked away somewhere between the walls. The city must have been self-sufficient and would have needed a way to make food. 

Matt shook his head, wiping the thoughts of farming from his head. He was unsure of what was distracting him but he didn't like it. He needed to stay focused. Blinking hard, he returned his attention to the dreary people standing beyond the doors to their homes, or just in the road, watching them. They wore simple attire, not much different from the light cotton shirts and denim or woven pants of those in scrap metal, but all wore an expression of gloom on their faces. Droopy eyes, sagging lips, and an abscence of colour from their clothes, their buildings, everything. It seemed as if a sepia filter had been placed over Matt's eyes, drowning out all semblance of colour or cheer. And Emma was right. There was not a single woman in Matt's line of sight. Not a one. 

"You're right. What the hell is going on? This shit is so strange," Matt whispered to Emma, still scanning the crowds, hoping he missed the women in the sea of men.

"It's scary more like. I don't like it here. We shouldn't have come," Emma said, a hand gripping Matt's forearm.

"It's a little late now for regrets. Don't worry, we will get out soon. The information we can glean is too important. I have a feeling the sheriff knows something and I want in. What if we have been going in the wrong direction the whole time?" Matt said soothingly, trying to calm Emma's nerves. 

"I don't want to die here Matt. Five minutes ago the sheriff's guns were pointed at our heads and now you think he's gonna be all chummy? I'm afraid he's going to stab us in the back," Emma's grip grew tighter causing Matt to tense up as her nails dug into his skin.