Chapter Twenty Nine: Promises to Keep

A muffled thud broke the morning’s silence as Matt rolled over and fell face first to the ground. Exhaling slowly Matt pushed air through his half open mouth, squinting in the pale light. Coughing lightly as he spat dirt from his tongue, Matt almost considered sleeping on the ground for a little while longer. Instead, he sat up and stretched out his arms, and a sharp spike of pain in his left reminded him of his wound. Waiting for the pain in his left arm to subside, Matt remained seated, taking in Bear’s quarters. 

The tent was spartan, just a bed, chest of drawers and a rack with his gear. Atop the chest an old banner lay wrapped up beside some forlorn looking patches and a metal crest. Matt hadn’t taken Bear for the sentimental type, though it didn’t come as a big surprise. A space for a man who doesn’t intend to stay very long. Maybe it’s just old habit? Matt wondered as he got himself up from the ground and rubbed his eyes. The Old Bear was nowhere to be found; Matt figured he was already off on business. The old man always had something to take care of. Dust motes sparkled faintly in the light as they twirled past the tent’s entrance, dispersing as Matt strode through them.

Throwing back the flaps, Matt was blinded by the sun, the rays of light attacking his pupils before he could shut them. Cupping a hand against his brow and opening his eyes a slit, Matt stumbled into the morning haze and was surprised to see the camp already up and running. 

“Must be later than I thought,”Matt muttered, checking his watch. The face had a few more scratches than when his father had first given it to him, but the batteries were still going strong. The kid sighed when he saw the hour hand halfway past ten. Way past time to get moving, Matt thought to himself, beginning to march towards the training grounds. 

The kid stopped in his tracks and began to laugh softly. He’d forgotten, he has nothing to do. Not yet at least. No assignments, no missions, no training. He was a free man, at least until Pine or Hemstead started to get the gears rolling on their plan. Matt wasn’t about to go seek Kestrel out again, not as long as he didn’t have to. The war could wait, and Matt realized, so could he. 

Sighing again, but this time in comfort rather than exasperation, Matt let the sun toast his skin and tickle its warmth down his spine. Until he noticed the stench wafting through the air. After a few sniffs, one concentrated under his arm, Matt realized that he was the source. Bear did say I needed a bath, Matt thought as he set off towards the public baths. He eyed new recruits bustling about smugly, relishing his free time. 

***

The public baths - bath more like - was a simple one story building that was once a public pool. Or it had been intended to be one, judging by the remnants of a lifeguard’s office now  repurposed as towel storage. Matt emerged from the change room, towel around his waist, and peered around the bath. 

The large steaming pool was devoid of anyone, or thing for that matter, making Matt smile. It was nice to be truly alone for a change. Placing his towel down at the side, Matt sat down at the edge, letting his feet sink into the water. The cold tile floor was harsh against his bare skin, but the warmth of the water created a pleasing dichotomy. 

Taking advantage of his lonesome, Matt gingerly flicked the water with his toes, sending droplets flying out across the still surface. Ripples formed, mini tidal waves shattering the mirror’s edge of the pool, and interfering with each other as waves met. 

Chuckling like a child, Matt slapped the water forcefully with the bottom of his right foot, creating a splash comparable to that of a grenade going off in the depths. Once the ripples faded out of existence and the pool was still once more, Matt slipped in. 

The shock of the temperature change gave Matt a jolt as his body tensed, but only for a few moments.  Breathing deeply, Matt let his shoulders droop down as the warmth soothed his muscles. Matt was glad the water level came just below the dressing on his arm, or else he’d have to stand the whole time.