Chapter Two

Another Loss (Cyn’s POV)

          “NOOOOOO!!!!!” My scream echoes throughout the manor at the news of my father’s death. ‘Again I lose a precious treasure.’ I cry inside and out as my step-brother Cyan holds onto me in my suffering. As I cry my step-mother and other step-brother hug each other and shed their own tears. “It’s ok Cyn.” I hear Cyan whisper and I grip him like my life depends on it as my heart mourns for my father. I manage to ask through my tears, “When’s the funeral?” I feel Cyan rubbing my back to soothe me as Kara replies, “The funeral is in a week Young Lord.” Her gentle voice also helps my pain vanish.

          I step out of Cyan’s embrace and take a deep breath then let it out as I walk over to the window to look out at the transporter parked outside. I can see my father’s still form in the back and it tears at me to know he died because of an illness with no cure. I close my eyes and picture what my grandfather would do in my shoes. I take one more deep breath as I open my eyes. I turn to Kara and say, “Prepare for the funeral, I want the whole city to know how great my father was, and also…” I pause to look into the eyes of my step-family knowing my next words will probably change things between us but it has to be done. “Also, Young Lord?” Kara asks looking at me with awe for she has never seen me be this brave except the time my grandfather died. “Also, have the lawyers called to meet with me immediately for a private reason.” Kara nods and leaves the room. I glance at my step-family one more time before I walk out of the study and make my way to the library to wait for the lawyers to arrive.