Prologue

A Child’s Loss

          Tears of sadness leak out of the eyes of the people surrounding the lowering casket. ‘The final resting place of the Lady Selene beloved wife and mother.’ The words, etched into the headstone, are perfect to describe her. She was a dutiful wife to the grieving Lord Soren and a loving mother to the young boy clutching to his father’s leg with tears falling freely at the loss of his best friend. Young Lord Cyn watches with a heartbreaking sob as his mother was buried before his very eyes.

          “Do not cry my Little Cynder.” Lord Soren scoops up his child into a hug and carries him away from the grave. Cyn tries to stop the crying but he cannot the pain is still too fresh. Lord Soren gently places his son into a seat of his transporter and straps the sobbing boy in with the safety harness. “Cyn, your mama’s no longer in pain. Try to think of the fact she’s now with grandpapa alright.” The boy looks into his father’s eyes and nods as the tears start to dry up.

“Is it still ok to think of her?” The boy’s soft voice so much like his mother’s echoed into the transporter causing the two servants look to their Lord to hear his answer. Lord Soren kneels to be leveled with his son and smiles as he replies, “Think about mama all you want my Little Cynder. She will always be alive in our hearts every time we do think about her smiling face.” The boy gives his father a small watery smile and hugs him. The two servants smile at each other knowing their Young Lord will not be depressed any longer.