XIII.

Glory from above

Regard my dear

It's all downhill from here

Brandy didn't understand it but her muscles relaxed as T'Challa stood before her, hand still on her shoulder. The past that she had so desperately tried to remember had come rushing forward like a raging river and all she wanted was answers. How was it that she got to miss growing up in a place like this? She knew T'Challa had the answers and he seemed ready to give them.

"Now that you're under control, follow me." T'Challa said releasing the ohand from her shoulder.

His guards still had their weapons drawn as he turned around. With one wave of his hand, they fell back in line but their eyes were still plastered on Brandy. She followed behind him, leaving M'Baku and the guards behind. T'Challa stopped at a large window, overlooking lush green gardens. The same gardens that Brandy could now remember running around in. Her mind fell back to a memory of when she pushed her brother into the pool near the throne room and he went chasing after her. Her small feet were caked in dirt as she ran towards the gardens. Workers, who were tending to the plants, hid the small child from her brother's wrath.

Her eyes blinked bringing her back to reality. The gardens looked the same but everything else had changed.

"Start from the beginning." Brandy said aloud without turning from the window.

"As you can already guess, this was your home at one point. You were sent away because of the development of your powers. The S.H.I.E.L.D agency promised your family that they could help "cure" you of your powers but instead used you for their own gain. You were adopted into an American family and your memories suppressed of this beautiful place."

Brandy grew angrier with every word. She was stripped of her entire identity and given the false sense of security by S.H.I.E.L.D. She thought they were her family and even with this new revelation, they still were. However, how could she ever reconcile this?

"I wanted to bring you here because you deserve the chance to be with your people. However, you and I both know that the impending conflict between Mr. Stark and Mr. Rogers will cause us both to turn our attention away from here. Please, enjoy it while you can."

—————

And that is exactly what she did.

M'Baku tracked Brandy down as soon as T'Challa left her alone and didn't let his little sister out of his sight. He took her to the village where people greeted her as if she had just been gone on a long vacation. They had a late lunch at the home of one their retired nannies. She had an old photograph on the mantle of her fireplace which was of Brandy and M'Baku. However, the inscription didn't say Brandy. It read M'Baku and Adaora.

"Is this supposed to be me?" Brandy asked her brother who had come over to see what she was looking at.

"Yes my sister. It seems as though it wasn't just your memories that they took from you."

Brandy ran a finger over the smooth surface of the photo. There was a lot she was going to have to get used to. As she put the picture back on the mantle, there was a knock on the door. It was opened to show T'Challa, who looked alarmed.

"Brandy, you must come with me. It has begun."