Chapter Ten

(Val's POV)

I got out of bed careful not to wake Audrey. She ended up falling fast asleep in my bed last night after we talked. We talked about anything and everything for a hour or two. I could see her struggling to keep her eyes open and before long she was fast asleep.

I got dressed and headed out to the kitchen for breakfast. That's where I found Enzo.

"Good morning." He smiled.

"Morning. Why are you so happy? You're not a morning person."

"Ruby came to my room last night."

"Thought she slept in the guest bedroom."

"She said she woke up and Audrey was gone. Apparently they've shared the same bedroom for years so it was weird sleeping in a room by herself. She went looking for her but didn't find her so she came to me."

"She slept in my bed." I said talking about Audrey.

"I figured as much." He said as I took a cup of coffee. "What are we going to do today?"

"Dad wants to talk to us."

"Right. I forgot about that."

"I'll call him and see when and where."

"What about them?"

"They can stay here."

"What if they don't want to stay by themselves?"

"I'm sure mom would come stay with them."

Two hours later, we were getting ready to leave to meet dad and mom was on her way.

I was quietly grabbing my shoes and stuff from my room when Audrey woke up.

"Where you going?" She asked.

"We have to go talk to our dad. Our mom is coming over to stay with you two. She also has your new glasses."

"How long will you be gone?"

"Not long." I said as I kissed her forehead.

Dad wanted to meet at his main office so that's where we went. We arrived just in time to see Gio drag a bloody crying man out of dad's office.

"Busy morning?" Enzo asked as we walking in and shut the door.

"You could say that." He said sitting back down in his chair. "How are they?" He asked getting right to it.

"Fine. Still asleep when we left."

He pulled two folders out of his desk drawer and slid them across the desk to us.

"What are these?" Enzo asked.

"Everything I could find."

He had found it all. Birthdates, social security numbers, number of hospital visits, school records, past purchases, etc. Anything you could think of, he found.

"Thirty-five hospital visits?" I asked looking at Audrey's file.

"Ruby has twenty." Enzo said.

"Yes, Ruby seems more resilient than Audrey. She's a tough one." Dad said.

"Find anything on their foster parents?"