Chapter 1

Ellery's POV

Hi my name is Ellery Louise Hazel I'm 16 years old I have bright blue eyes with flecks of silver, curly red and I'm different. I don't know what it is about me but I'm not like most people I can hear everything and can see further than anyone I know, my sense of smell is incredible and I have insanely fast reflexes. I'm different but that's all I know. I live in a small town called KamSet in a light yellow Victorian house at the edge of Spring Street overlooking the ocean. My parents Roza and Felix Hazel are well not the greatest. My life should be great right? Big house, nice town but no I am a slave to my parents I'm beaten and screamed at I seem to never do anything right. I cook I clean I do handy work and babysit for my little sisters and brother. On top of that, I work at the local dinner 60 hours each week so I can pay for school and get out of this hell hole. I get up each day at 4 to start my chors I do all the work outside first then I come in to make breakfast I wake up everyone in the house then begin to clean, once I'm finished everything it's about 8:00. I grab my things and start my daily walk to school bringing my twin sisters Alexis and Amanda with me, as well as my three-year-old sister Clare and one-year-old brother Ethan. I drop Clare and Ethan off at the daycare that I pay for myself and continue on to the elementary school with Alexis and Amanda. Once I've dropped them off I run to my school two blocks down. I'm late again crap. I knew the drill, I slowly walked to the guidance office where I signed in. The secretary Ms Goodwin smiled sadly at me like she always did and gave me a late slip I walked down the hall to my locker where I neatly hung my bag and grabbed my books. Every time I walked into one of my classes late I would always be welcomed with stares and whispers.

"Ms Hazel, late again I see" my teacher Mr O' Brian said. For being a teacher he was actually pretty good looking late twenties early thirties, he was such a nice man.

"Sorry, Mr O'Brian I tried." He knew what I meant all of the teachers did and only a select few of the students did. Most of the students that knew my life story were my friends but the others were either teacher's kids or those who heard gossip but didn't know the whole truth.

"I understand Ms Hazel but please try harder next time." He finished and I took a seat at the desk beside my best friend Annabelle. Annabelle to me was absolutely stunning she had chocolate brown hair that came to her mid-back in loose curls, she had gorgeous brown eyes and the most amazing hourglass figure. Beside her sat her boyfriend Hunter. I will admit he was drop-dead gorgeous with his six-pack that you could briefly see through his shirt. He had bleach blond hair and a small but strong and muscular figure. My two other friends Adrian and Lily sat up at the front of the class. Adrian had wavy light brown hair that just reached below her shoulders she had green eyes and a slightly bigger build than most but she was still extremely pretty. Little Lily had straight black hair that reached her lower back she had a petit face and small figure, she had dark brown eyes that almost looked black and she was absolutely adorable. Lunch came painfully slow my friends and I ate lunch at our usual table and then headed outside for some fresh air. It was the beginning of October but the air was still super warm. As I sat on the field I could still taste the saltwater. As I focused on the smell my eyes allowed me to see the beach below my house I watched the waves roll on to the shore it was almost like I was there on the beach and not at school. All of a sudden I was pulled from my thoughts and brought back on to the field.

"Hey, Ree are you okay?" Lily asked as she shook my arm.

"Ya sorry" I responded.

"What happened?" This time Adrian asked. I hadn't told them, I hadn't told anyone; I was afraid.

"Nothing, I guess I just zoned out for a second I'm good now," I said smiling trying to direct the conversation elsewhere. We talked a bit more before going to class, the rest of the day went by fairly quick and before I knew it I was running out of KamSet High and to St.Vincent's to pick up Alexis and Amanda from school. Once I had picked up the twins I walked to the local daycare and picked up Ethan and Clare. After putting Ethan and Clare in the stroller we walked home. Once I had made dinner for everyone and finishing the rest of my chores my parents arrived. They sat and ate screaming at me because their dinner was cold, dad hit me about five times for that and then I was off to work. I got there just in time to start my shift. I worked five and a half hours at which point it was 10:30, I grabbed my things and took off for home. I ran the entire way I don't know what it is but I love to run. I quietly unlocked the door and snuck in, I closed the door as quietly as I could. As I made my way to the stairs I was grabbed by the hair and dragged to a room. I knew better then to scream so I just let it happen as soon as the light came on I realized I was in my dad's office. He threw me down releasing my hair giving me the briefest relief before the screaming began. My dad had his office soundproofed two years ago so no one could hear the screaming. Once my father was through screaming at me he began to beat me I didn't bother to fight back. He kicked and hit and whipped me it was normal to me but anyone else wouldn't know what to do. Once he was threw he kicked me once more opened the door and left I got up and hobbled to the laundry room. I stripped down to nothing but a braw and underwear I wrapped a clean towel around me before removing those too. I sprayed my bloody clothes with stain remover and threw them in the wash with a few more things. I was tired and needed to rest, I hobbled to the door in the kitchen and opened it. I slowly made my way upstairs and into my room, I grabbed my pajamas and got into bed. I thought about the days events before sleep consumed me.