Chapter 27; Home sweet home

‘I think I’ve got everything.’ I said as I zipped-up my ocean blue suitcase with little, black stars on it. I looked around the room again, checking for things that I might have forgotten to pack. ‘Let’s go then.’ Petra said, who was already standing outside the door with the handle of the suitcase in her hand. ‘Alice and May are already outside?’ I asked. ‘Yeah, they are.’ Petra replied as we started to walked towards the elevator.

I pressed the button of the first floor. The lift doors opened right away. We stepped in and there fell a silence between us as we both listened to the stupid lift song. 

‘Why didn’t you tell me about your engagement?’ Petra suddenly asked. The question came in like a bomb. I sighed. ‘I didn’t tell you, because I was scared. Only Alice and Mark knew about it, because they’re my childhood friends. I had told May, because she was going to find out in one way or another, you know how she is. And you were busy with your basketball match, so I didn’t want to bother you with that.’ I explained with a faint smile plastered on my face.

Petra laid an hand on my shoulder. ‘I understand, but I’m still sad about it that you didn’t told me about it. I know I can’t keep my mouth shut about some things, but this,’ she stopped with a angered expression on her face. ‘this is real shit. I wouldn’t even consider it to talk it about it with others. I know we aren’t that long friends and that we aren’t as close-’

‘Woah, woah, Threadway. Don’t go there or I’m going to doubt our friendship.’ I said laughing. ‘Yeah, we might not be that long friends, but don’t you dare to say that I don’t love and care about you as much as I do with May and Alice.’

Petra looked at her feet what caused her short, blond hair to fall in front of her green eyes. ‘I’m sorry.’ She said. ‘Don’t be. I’m the one who should say sorry,’ I said, smiling at her. ‘I understand your feelings and I should’ve told you about it.’ I wrapped my arms around her and hugged her tightly. 

We exited the hotel. Everyone had already gathered at the parking place. ‘Ah, you made it. Do you have everything?’ May said, making sure that I didn’t forget something, which I always did. ‘I think so. And if I did, then it’s stupid of me.’ I told her. 

‘Alright everyone. Let’s get onto the bus! Don’t push each other!’ Mr. Roberts exclaimed. Everyone stepped, or more like ran, into the bus, trying to get the good seats. ‘Toby, no pushing! Eric, stop throwing with the candy! Blood Hell, Mark, stop with the farting!’ Mr. Roberts yelled, trying to control the boys. 

The girls calmly walked towards their seats and sat down. I sat next to May, and Alice and Petra sat opposite of us. Zoë, Wendy and Bella sat in the seats next to us. ‘I’m actually kinda glad we are finally going home.’ Wendy said. ‘I wish I could stay longer!’ Bella whined. ‘I wish too, but I think that the best thing about traveling is coming home.’ Zoë said. 

That was the whole thing I followed of the conversation. I had put in my earplugs and listened to music. I didn’t feel the need to talk. All I wanted was to get home and deal with everything. I looked at my ring. I wanted to take it off, but something in me stopped myself from doing it. Was it guilt? Was it anxiety?

I never want to disappoint my father. Maybe that’s it. That’s something I never want to happen. Maybe I should just deal with it. I mentally slapped myself. ‘I’m going to deal with it. It isn’t a big deal. I just keep it quiet and make my father proud!

This is your captain speaking; in a few minutes, we will start to land the airplane.’ The voice of the captain said through the intercom. It was 2;34 in the morning and I was the only one awake. I poked Petra, who was sitting next to me, in her face. ‘Petra, the plane is going to land.’ I said softly. Petra groaned as she opened her eyes. ‘Why are we landing in the middle of the fucking night?’ She asked me grumpy. ‘Don’t ask me.’ I said, laughing at her question.

I woke Alice as well. ‘Why aren’t you waking May?’ Petra asked confused. ‘Are you seriously asking me that? I don’t want to die yet!’ I said, causing a confused look from Petra. ‘May is always in a really, really, really bad mood when she wakes up.’ I said, scared for my life.

‘Oh, for the love of god! It won’t be that bad.’ Petra said and she poked May in her face. ‘Oi, May. Wake up!’ Petra exclaimed. May’s eyes snapped open and she started to growl as she gritted her teeth. Petra pushed herself into her chair, trying to make distance between them. She was scared for her life. May stopped growling and closed her eyes again.

‘I told you, didn’t I?’ I said, smirking at Petra. ‘I think I just saw the Devil.’ Petra said traumatized with wide eyes. Alice nearly fell of her seat, laughing her ass off. ‘That was hilarious!’ She said, nearly choking due lack of air. ‘Alice, please keep breathing.’ I told her.

I heard groaning come from May again. She opened her eyes and looked at Petra. ‘The beast is awake!’ Petra yelled anxious. ‘The beast?’ May questioned her confused. ‘She doesn’t remember anything if she gets awaken by someone and then falls back asleep.’ I explained, trying to calm Petra down. ‘Just sit still, the plane is going to land.’ May said, sounding a bit grumpy.

I was waiting outside the airport, tapping my foot to the ground impatiently. Leo still wasn’t here, while Petra, May and Alice were already picked up by their car drivers. I wondered what Leo took so long. I told him the correct time, didn’t I?

‘Big sister!’ I heard a familiar voice say. I looked towards the sound of the voice and saw my little sister running towards me. ‘Meg! What are you doing here? Why aren’t you in bed?’ I asked her confused as she collided her body against me. She wrapped her arms around my waist and buried her face in my stomach. Meg wasn’t big for her age, neither was I.

‘There was no talking out of her. You know how stubborn she is.’ Another familiar voice said. I saw my twin brother with his hands in his pocket walking towards. ‘Josh! I thought that only Leo would come pick me up, since it would in the middle of the night.’ I asked, still confused.

‘There is no way that I’m letting my little sister be alone at the aiport around 4 o’clock in the bloody morning.’ Josh said as he wrapped his arm around my shoulder. I smiled as I wrapped one arm around his waist and I held Meg’s hand with the other. ‘Home sweet home.’ I said, smiling.