20 - Childhood traumas

Krull was relieved as the group of Saurian explorers withdrew, letting their furious chief pass by, and with subtle mockery, they escorted him crossing each other with sarcastic glances, to the thicket of the forest where he could observe the movements of the foliage retreating, presumably in the direction of the Horde camp, which from the position of the observation posts and battlements, was not visible, but they assumed it was still far from there.

He waited a fairly prudent time to give the signal that everything was calm, this was done with a reed, which, when blown in a certain way, emitted a high-pitched squeak that looked very much like the squeak of some birds quite common in the area, but not to confuse it with the bird's own, they made it a little shorter than the original and repeated it twice more, which, the birds in question never did, because their scream was one or at most two long squeaks with a notorious pause between them.

He looked in his saddlebag for the above-mentioned whistle, but he did not find it, in his moment of panic, when he had taken out the horn, the horn had stuck to the floor of the platform without Krull noticing, fortunately he had been hooked in a hole in the wooden floor and then he had carefully searched in the saddlebag, he felt his whole body to discard that he had it hooked on his clothes and when he did not find it he entered into desperation because he did not conceive to have to come down from the battlement, wet with his own urine, to leave the observation post unattended, to run towards the rest area and to tell everyone that the danger had passed, they would all die with laughter and he with shame, Koba would kill him right there for being an idiot and a coward.

Before entering in desperation he moved carefully backwards, put his saddlebag hanging on top of a protruding trunk and searched on the floor inch by inch, until he found the cursed reed on the floor of the battlement, sighing in relief he picked it up, cleaned it up and waited with his eyes fixed on the place where the Saurians had entered the forest when abandoning their search.

When at last he felt sure enough that they were not going to return, he waited a little longer to give his signal and reassure the Bast, the sun had already advanced a great deal throughout the celestial vault, the evening would soon come and with it the change of guard, he felt stinky and sticky, luckily his skin was full of the sap they used to camouflage his human scent, so he applied it to himself, especially where the terror he had experienced had wet him, he only remembered once it had happened to him and on both occasions the subject of the Saurians was in the middle.

For as long as he could remember, Krull had panicked the Saurians, as a child he was very frightened by the stories they told at night evenings and hid it, although not very well, because he let his fear shine through and more than a few of his friends had realised the exaggerated fear he had of them. For most of the children, who had never seen a real one, the stories of Saurios were stories at night and evenings, but for him they were real monsters, because one of them had killed his father and as a very young child he listened without wanting to, the vivid story of his death from one of the companions who had been with him, who told it to a group of friends without realizing that Krull was casually very close listening to everything, the terrible story was so heartbreaking that it traumatized him for life.

One day when he was about seven summers old, in one of these evenings, a gang of rascals disguised one of the older boys who was taller and bigger than the others, with a fibre sack on which many leaves had been placed and a fierce mask made of bark and painted with vegetable dyes and in the middle of the stories of the night, at the most frightening moment, the little devil came in with the mask roaring wildly, while the other children were screaming in fear, but he did not scream, but was paralyzed and urinated, in everyone's sight, becoming the general mockery of the whole world, not even the little ones had been so frightened.