15 - Good News

Far from the entrance to the mountain, on the opposite shore of the Lake, almost in the direction that Koba requested, they left the head of the reluctant lizard, the Saurios camp was totally soaked but calm in spite of the strong rain, when suddenly a lightning fell on a tree that protruded in a nearby hill, enveloping it in an explosion of light and fire, causing it to burst into flames which were extinguished almost immediately by the heavy rain, the sentries looked terrified with open eyes, invaded by panic, the force of nature, this area did not like them, it was cold, with little food and the electrical storms were terrible, They had seen how lightning had once struck a great saurian who was on a hill at the moment a storm was unleashed and they saw him almost explode completely charred, burned in seconds, they had not even wanted to eat the remains that had been scattered very close to where the meteor had been hit, for fear of unleashing the fury of the sky, in the middle of the storm, the rest of the horde did not even notice the lightning, when the temperature descended too much they entered a state almost of hibernation and they were maintained thanks to the corporal heat added of all in their form of sleeping.

Luckily the storm at its peak did not last long and little by little the lightning became more spaced and distant, but the rain continued to fall persistently throughout the night, albeit with less force, turning into a faint drizzle and at dawn the sun was hidden behind a mantle of black clouds and the horizon was barely illuminated, the reptiles were still asleep because there was no sun to warm them, the sentries were still in their places, relieved because the worst of the storm had already passed and they were still alive.

A little later, it finally stopped raining and some rays of the sun filtered through the clouds, dissipating the last vestiges of the recent storm, heating the place little by little until the Saurians woke up and stood up, the leader of the horde was already up and alert when the sentries gave the notice that one of the groups had returned, he moved quickly going out to meet the lost group.

Relieved, but without showing signs of his mood, he saw that it was the group in which his son was going, who came after having walked until late at night to have found an inaccessible area of swamp that they had to border to return to the camp, had remained under the shelter of a cavity in the rocks that protected them from cold and rain.

The herd leader who came with them was an old adventure companion of the leader of the horde and had a lot of experience in explorations, when he was in front of his boss, he bowed his head until the leader grunted his approval.

They began a kind of dialogue in which he told him that above, the lands become barren and hunting is not abundant so it is not a good place to settle and that they did not see humans or traces of them.

The leader thought then that it was time to return to more hospitable lands where hunting abounded and the climate was more conducive, they would only wait for the last lost group to return and the next day they would undertake the march to their lands he told his friend, who nodded in approval.

The whole horde was set in motion preparing everything to set up the camp in feverish activity, a group took out of their bags food for breakfast and distributed it among all the groups that were in the camp, others collected edible herbs, the sentries of the last shift were locked in their shells to sleep in the clearings between the trees to receive some sun, along with the sentries of the previous guard shifts, forming what looked like a turtle camp.

The group of explorers who had just arrived, was one of the first to receive their ration of food, they began to eat, finished their food and settled near the sentries lying down to rest under the warm heat of the sun, sleeping almost immediately, as they were exhausted from so much walking, the Saurians could not march long distances for a long time, they were very fast and agile in short distances, with flat terrain, but they turned out to be lousy walkers, when they made long journeys, they walked for a while and then they had to rest for almost half of the time they had been walking, In this way they could make use of their energy reserves to travel long distances, for this reason the advance of a horde in terms of distance-time, was very slow compared to that of humans, who when they used horses were very ahead of them, however in a confrontation, the Saurians had all to win, as they were much faster than humans and their speed was compared to the best of horses, although for a short time, so that if in the first minute they did not reach a group of riders, it was unlikely that they could reach them and much less chase them.

The horde would only wait for the last lost group to return to the warm valleys nearby and leave this land so inhospitable, cold and lacking in resources.