Chapter 6: After Maths and Men

DISCLAIMER: This is an original story. All characters appearing in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

WARNING: Mature language.

CHAPTER VI

It's been three days since that horrible day. Three days of restraining myself from killing myself. Three days of avoiding Josh in all forms possible. Three days of staring at my phone-he didn't even bother texting me, not that I care now - yeah keep fooling yourself.

I've been trying to clear my mind from all this shit, like they said Books Before Boys, but it is never that easy. This is my first heartache, and I never realized how painful it is. I used to scoff every time my friends gets their heart broken, 'Psh. Heartaches aren't real problems, starving children in Africa is a real problem and you should cry over that instead.' I have to prepare for an all nighter this weekend because "hell week" starts on Monday, well that would be easy since I have gotten myself used to not sleeping for the past three nights. But my agenda for today is go to my only class, Material Science and Engineering, that starts 9 in the morning and have lunch with my girlfriends.

I'm 24 minutes early today, when frequently I'm 24 minutes late, and most likely only a few of my classmates will be there, usually those early birds. As I entered the lecture room, Paramore's That's What You Get is blasting in the background courtesy of none other than Alice. You'd know that Alice is just around when you hear Hayley singing, that girl loves the band so much.

Alice sat in the middle row beside the glass window and on her right you'd find Arya and Jodee.

"Hey, you're early today!" Jodee said in a surprised tone.

"Uh, yeah" was my short reply. My mind is still floating, imprisoned in the cafe.

Jodee is a girl with shoulder length hair that is sometimes tied in a pig-tails. She got these beautiful big brown eyes and quite a few inches shorter than me. You'd mistake her and her bestfriend, Arya, for highschool students. Arya's always very cheery and has a sweet high-pitched voice whereas Jodee's voice is almost an alto. Arya's very shy, and every time she giggles, you can't help but smile. They both have these innocent looks, like little angels, they're basically our little sisters.

"Hello Miss Gomez" Arya greeted me in her usual bubbly voice. She likes to address us by our surnames and pet names, she only calls us by our names when she gets distraught which rarely happens.

"Hello to you too Miss Martell" my voice came out trying to muster a cheery tone but miserably failed. And at that Alice slowly turns her head towards me.

"Didn't expect you to turn up so early"

"Glad you noticed" I said while plopping down on the seat beside her.

"Is missy-pissy?" I know she's taunting me and I wouldn't fall for it. "Cheer up or else the aliens along with the giant squids will abduct you"

"Ha-ha very funny Alice, unless they take you first and make you their queen." we have our inside jokes about organization of aliens and giant squids which is quite absurd.

She makes me smile for the littlest simplest things.

...

Class starts fifteen minutes late due to Engr. Okumura being in a meeting with the college dean and other department heads. I like the way he teaches, he doesn't rely only on the power point presentation but he also does a hands-on calculation for the students to further understand the lesson. The only thing we dislike is the loads of paperwork he forces us to do after almost every meeting. Take note, it should be hand-written.