Chapter 1: Me VS College

Disclaimer: This is an original story so enjoy :)                 

                   Lies, Elements, and Attractions

CHAPTER I

        They said that college is a beautiful experience. It’s the part of one’s life to celebrate the advent of adulthood and to acquire knowledge of things in this world that fascinates you most —in my case that is chemistry. I was thinking of a program that I should take which involves chemistry. Don’t get me wrong, but I’m such a nerd—I find the subject chemistry quite simple but I didn’t want to just take B.S. Chemistry or Biochemistry because I have always wanted to be an engineer. I would definitely earn more as an engineer and I’m absolutely sure that I’ll have a bright future ahead of me. Chemistry plus math? Piece of cake. I am so looking forward to spend the next five years of my life surrounded by people with the same interests as me. Maybe I could even finally meet someone dreamy to fall in love with. Ha-ha! You wish. College will indeed be fun!

            Or so, I thought.

         Fast forward to the year 2012—I am still on my 3rd year in college taking up B.S. Chemical Engineering when I should already be in my 4th year if not for all the brutal subjects. To tell you the truth, college life sucks major balls. It’s like Dante Alighieri’s description of hell. It wasn’t hell on earth at first, my first two years were a breeze and on my third year, all went spiraling downhill as I start to take up most of my major subjects. There are tons of engineering mathematics and chemistry to go over with; combine that with thermodynamics, physics, and all the other shit the universe has to offer that you could never imagine. I’ve never been so wrong in my decisions. “Hard” is not even the right description of my program, the experience as a whole resembles the word “suicide” more. Well I am where I am now—a zombie with unbrushed hair, with eye bags as a staple asset, and with no social life (except for the other zombies whom I discuss Laplace transforms and batch distillation with). I still have a year and a half before I get my degree, hopefully. I can’t wait to get out of here.

        It has only been two weeks since the start of the first semester for this school year, and I already hate it. It’s not like I loved new semesters before, I think I just hate it even more. To begin with, my classes for Monday, Wednesday and Friday starts at seven in the morning (like, who the fuck gets up at that time?) and to make it even better – yeah, I’m being sarcastic here – my professor on an early Monday morning has a pole stuck up in her ass. She's literally a Prada-wearing devil who's always on her damn period. Her color suits her well—bright red lipstick matched with high-heeled red pumps. She looks more like stripper in her micro-mini-skirt than a chemical engineer. I hate her already but she hates her female students more. I wonder how many students she's slept with. I thought she’ll be lenient with her teaching since she’s new around the faculty, but as days went by, her true colours shows up like a swastika on a peaceful German morning. Don’t even get me started, she’s just—ugh. Talk about hating Mondays even more.

        I am pretty sure that this semester would suck so badly until the end of the school year, until I went to the chemistry laboratory

        It’s not my first time to be in this laboratory. I’ve been here every semester since my first year—from General Chemistry I Lab to Physical Chemistry II Lab. After the subject PhyChem2 (as we, zombies, address Physical Chemistry II Lab), all the succeeding laboratory subjects will be done at the Chemical Engineering Laboratory, with the fact told, I no longer have any business or whatsoever here since I’ve taken up PhyChem2 Lab last semester already.