Chapter 2: Welcomed Distraction

Disclaimer: Second chapter of Lies, Elements and Attractions... all original ideas

CHAPTER II

        We continued to have small talks, and Alice really enjoys my company because I do all the claiming and returning or her apparatuses which I gladly do without arguments. I later found out from my friends that he’s a ladies’ man. I wonder if it’s true. Still, he hasn’t asked for my name yet and continues to call me ‘Katy Perry’. Cute but annoying, I mean, who does that—you get to know a person without even knowing their name? I push my annoyance at the back of my mind; well at least he still enjoys talking to me, right?

        After four weeks of small talks on pycnometers, music, broken test tubes, bands, and everything else under the sun; he gave me his number—written at the back of a borrower's slip (beautiful handwriting I must say). I really like talking to him, it’s like I can read him like an open book and most of our conversation flows naturally, we both have a passion for music and the arts. 

        Once I got home, I kept on wondering if I should send him a text message, call him or what…

‘Does he have a girlfriend? I haven’t seen him with someone though. If he has one, he has been such a dick for flirting around like that. Wait—are we even flirting? UUUUGH! I don’t know. God, what am I even doing?’ I thought to myself while doing my homework for my Monday morning class tomorrow. ‘Oh, well maybe I should text him; surely it won’t be a bother, right? For heaven’s sake, it’s a Sunday! Meaning slack-off day”

        As I reach for my cellphone a thought occurred to me, what should I say to him? We talk every Wednesday and Friday during Alice's lab class, and most of our conversations are random or about whatever we have in mind at that moment.

        One time we had a brief conversation on vampires. He's strange, I like it.

"So vampires, huh"

"W-what?!" I was caught off guard.

I was walking towards the dispensing area to get two more 50mL beakers with me eyeing him and my mind floating on the thought of us. I looked around to make sure that I'm the one he was talking to.

"I said vampires. Jeez keep up, Perry!" He said smiling.

"Oh, sorry. Vampires—what about them?" I looked at him quizzically.

Oh God, he's gorgeous. Why does he look so perfect? I love how his eyes kind of crinkles every time he smiles, I could spend the whole day just staring at that smile.

"They… suck!” then he laughs, amused by his own joke. What an odd sense of humor.

"They literally do that all the freaking time! Why the sudden interest in vampires?"

"I’ve seen an episode of The Vampire Diaries last night with Sabrina; she insisted that we watch it just because 'Damon Salvatore is a hot god'. He's not even close to being hot. What do girls see in him?" He rolls his eyes.

Who the fuck is Sabrina?! Oh please let her be his sister.

I did not realize that I’ve been staring at him for that long--so dumbfounded with the concept of this certain Sabrina—who she is and what she is in Josh’s life. He finally broke the awkward silence.

"So, what do you need, Ms. Perry?" He said staring at me with sparkling eyes

You.

"Just two more 50mL beakers please" I squeaked.