Chapter 41

It was now July, 1950 and the city was alive again. I was on summer break, but I stayed in my dorm during that time. I stood in front of the small movie theater and the large sign lit up in lights. It showed Marlon holding another woman, their faces not shown in the picture.

The Men was written above Marlon and that woman. Bold letters spelled out Premiere TONIGHT! above the poster.

I read all about that girl, Teresa Wright. I read about their chemistry, and how much time they spent on set. I looked at all of the saucy publicity photos. The photos that hurt me the most were the ones of them having a genuine good time together.

"What's this?" A woman asked next to me. She was just passing by that night and happened to notice the poster. "I tell ya, these movies are getting more and more bold everyday."

I smiled and looked down at my feet, but deep inside I felt dejected. I knew it was Marlon's job to be with beautiful women, but it was Marlon. He lived and breathed sexual energy, and I was certain something happened between the two of them.

No one but a few critics was arrived at the premiere. It was a small movie, with a small budget and no name actors. Who would have cared to come out in a suit and tie to this thing?

I bought my ticket at the booth, and walked inside of the theater. I was dressed in a dress that showed off my curves, and had white lace along the satin fabric.

I walked inside and sat in the theater. It was significantly empty. I sat toward the back of the theater.

Suddenly, the director came out and stood boldly in front of the scene. He called out each one of the cast members. He named faces that I had scene in the small magazines but hadn't seen in person yet.

"Arthur Jurado!" He called out, and about 6 people clapped. A tall, dark haired man walked out. He had a contagious smile, although he wasn't smiling at much of a crowd. You could see under his suit he was buff, and when you looked at his hands—

"Teresa Wright!" The director called out. The bitch stepped out with a smile.  I had no reason to dislike her, but I could just imagine her being all over Marlon. I saw one photo of her bending over a pool table with his arms around her. That's not necessary promotion for a movie about handicapped men.

"Marlon Brando!" It's as if he walked out in slow motion. He had a brow lifted, as he usually did, and smiled out at us. His suit was perfect, his shoes were perfect, his hair was perfect. It was as if he went to California and returned to be even more irresistible.

He looked out, but didn't fake a smile like Arthur. I was too far back for him to notice to me, but from that distance I could tell he was disappointed. Marlon always wanted to be a star, and he risked his reputation to "sell out" and go to Hollywood.

During my daydreaming about how handsome Marlon looked, the cast was sitting down. I saw Theresa slide her hand down Marlon's back as they found their seats in the front row. My stomach almost felt sick.

The movie was good enough. Marlon's performance was great. I got hot and heavy during a scene where he exercised in physical therapy. However throughout the movie Marlon speaks about how he couldn't wait to marry his love interest.

In the end, I watch Marlon's on-screen wedding to Theresa Wright. I looked down to the front row and saw them both together. They smiled at each other and clapped as the credits rolled.

I could see Marlon's smile wasn't genuine. He wanted more, he wanted major success. I figured that I could never help him get to that. Theresa was in the same business, and she wouldn't bring scandal into his career by being colored.