Chapter 22

I linked arms with Marlon in front of his new apartment building. We nodded to the doorman as we walked to the elevator.

"Fancy." I told him and he grinned down at me. The elevator boy pressed the button to his floor, and we were lifted.

As we walked down the clean, elegant hall, I imagined what Wally looked like. Who was this mystery man who has been in Marlon's life longer than James and I put together?

Was he more attractive than Marlon? I looked up at the side of Marlon's face as we walked. His hair was done as usual, his eyebrows were straight and neat and his jaw was pronounced as we walked.

There was no way he was more attractive, I thought to myself.

We finally got to the door of his brand new apartment and he pulled out his key and began unlocking the door. I held onto him from behind as the door pushed open.

We both walked into the apartment, already filled with his boxes and the boxes I assumed belonged to Wally. The fresh spring sunshine shined in, and Marlon pushed aside his blazer to put his hand into his pants pocket.

"I can't believe this." I smirked as I looked around. "And what took you so long to bring me here?"

"Small pubs and Central Park walks were enough for me." He shrugged and walked over to me, turning me and pulling me close by the waist. "And your dorm has been enough to suffice."

His lips lingered over mine and I giggled.

"I'm sure the girls are tired of seeing you." I mumbled, pulling my face away from what was about to be a consuming kiss.

I walked to an interesting circular window that was against a plain wall. I leaned forward on the strangely shaped window sill, and I heard Marlon's steps walk toward me.

 I leaned forward on the strangely shaped window sill, and I heard Marlon's steps walk toward me

"Don't you love this view?" He mumbled, pressing himself against my back. I smiled as he kissed my neck, and suddenly another person walked into the room.

"You're here." Marlon observed as he stepped back and turned to the person. I looked at the man.

He was relatively short with a receding hairline, a poorly fitting suit, a large forehead with an alarming nose to match and unflattering glasses.

"You must be Pat. I'm Wally Cox." The man said with a nasally voice. I laughed as he stood in his silly manner.

"Nice to meet you—" I began but Wally pulled me into a hug. He looked down at me, but he was only slightly taller than I was.

"Woah, you're a looker." He said as he smiled widely at me. Marlon, who was way taller than Wally patted him on the shoulder.

"You can look but you can't touch." He said with a risen brow. Wally bursted out a funny laugh, and we all laughed in reaction to him.

"So you grew up with Marlon?" I asked and Wally rubbed his thin, slicked back hair.

"Yeah, that's the only reason a guy like him talks to me." Wally said as he spoke through his nose. I laughed, but felt sorry for him and his self deprecating joke.

"Wally, this is the girl of my dreams." Marlon pointed at me. "She'll be around for a while."

"Define a while, your attention span is only a few seconds." I joked and Wally laughed. Marlon took jokes personally usually, and shuffled his feet.

I wrapped my arms around him and left a kiss on his jaw.

"Gee, Marlin. I've never seen you all coupled up like this before." Wally noted. "You must be serious."

"I am." Marlon said as he led me to the back of the apartment. We walked into his bedroom which was now much nicer than his last.

"Wow, you can afford all of this now?" I asked and Marlon nodded.

"Well, the play is doing great so it works." Marlon said as he proudly looked around the room. His hands were in the pockets of his slacks, and he wore a clean cut dress shirt with a blazer.

"You finally have a record player!" I pointed to the record player that sat on his dresser. An Ella Fitzgerald record case leaned asked the plastic of the record player.

"Speaking of Broadway..." Wally said with a frown as he stepped inside of the room. "I've been hearing rumors that the end is near when it comes to Streetcar."

"I read that too, they say that all the time with plays." Marlon said and rolled his eyes. "You know, we always end up alright."

"Marlon, I think it's serious this time

"Marlon, I think it's serious this time." Wally insisted. "Besides, people are saying T. Williams is gonna show up to next show."

Marlon's face went pale. He walked to his bed and sat down, thinking. I walked over to him and rubbed the nape of his neck.

"I'll uh, leave you two alone." Wally said awkwardly as he walked out. Marlon looked up at me, and I continued to rub the back of his neck.

He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me to sit on his lap, then closed his eyes as he kissed me.

"What would you do if the play closes?" I asked quietly. He looked down, and I loosened his tie for him.

"I don't know." He said weakly, and I unbuttoned the top of his shirt. "I'm not sure."

"It'll be okay." I said, holding his cheek and he looked at me.

"I don't know if it will be, Patricia." He sighed, laying back. I laid on top of him, wearing a light floral dress.

"What would you do?" I asked him.

"I guess uh... we'll see if I can get another play. Maybe go back to The New School..." he mumbled.

"Would they let you back?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows. Marlon winced.

"I don't know." He breathed out. His face got hot as his breathing quickened. "I really don't know, Patricia."

"We'll get through it, don't worry." I said sitting, helping him take off his blazer. I laid back next to him, placing my hand on his now exposed chest from his unbuttoned shirt.

"Don't ever leave, Patricia." He asked quietly, pulling me closer as he wrapped his arm around me. He nuzzled his face into my neck.

"I won't." I told him. However, that wasn't a promise. It was contingent on how he treated one me, which at the moment was great. But as we all know, Marlon could easily change on you.