Chapter 33

Helen and I walked down the sidewalk as we got out of class. We smiled and chatted together. She was in her happy mood as usual, her short blonde hair pulled back on each side by combs.

"And you know what, Pat?" Helen asked. "Doris and I are doing great. I just fear of anyone finding out about us."

"I'm afraid for you... that would be horrible." I frowned and Helen nodded.

"But I trust you, especially since you've experienced... in a way..." She nudged me.

"I know." I laughed, my memories of Marlon with James came flooding back. Helen didn't know about what happened between Paul, Marlon and I, and I hoped to keep it from her.

"But my parents are looking to get me married, and I don't know how I'd do that to her." She shook her head.

"Well, it's not like you and Doris can get married." I pointed out to her. She sighed up at the sky.

"I just don't want to be with anyone else. I don't want to go on living as someone else's wife." Helen frowned.

"Did you discuss this with Doris?" I asked and Helen gave me an embarrassed look. It was an obvious 'no' face, and I laughed. "Well, how do you know Doris would want anything long term?"

"She and I have had the best nights lately." Helen reminisced. "I can't imagine her wanting anything other than a long-lasting love with me."

Helen spun on the sidewalk, and I laughed at her as she did a little dance. I looked in a nearby restaurant window, and noticed a familiar face sitting there.

It was Paul, with his blue eyes staring at whoever sat in front of him. I watched as he spoke to a black man whose back was facing me, and the black man put on a fedora hat.

They both stood up, shaking hands, and when the man turned around to exit I knew exactly who it was.

"George." I exhaled, and Helen skipped back over to me.

"George? What about him?" Helen asked nonchalantly, clutching onto her pearls.

"George!" I shouted again, grabbing her by the hand and pacing down the street. Helen tried to keep up as we ran down the sidewalk, and once we got to the end of the block we wrapped around a corner.

"What is going on" Helen asked as we both leaned against the brick wall of the corner store on that block.

"George is affiliated with a gang." I exhaled.

"A gang? Like that movie, Scarface, that came out when we were kids?" Helen asked in shock.

"It might be worse." I whispered—

"Hey!" A voice said and Helen and I squealed and held each other. It was Paul, who was dressed in a nice suit and tie.

"Paul." I said and Helen looked at me.

"Paul..." She said smoothly with a smile. "I've never met you, Paul."

"Nice to meet you." Paul nodded at Helen. "Pat, I haven't seen you since my apartment."

"I know, I had other obligations." I answered, a little out of breath. I couldn't understand why Paul and George would ever know each other, never mind be in a restaurant together.

"I think I can guess what those obligations would be." Paul slyly said, and Helen giggled next to me. Paul and I looked to her, and she awkwardly coughed.

"I'll start walking ahead now." She announced. "Nice to meet you Paul, I'll see you later, Pat."

She began running across the street, and I sighed as I watched her leave. I didn't get to explain my concern of Paul knowing George.

"Finally, alone at last." Paul smirked, pressing me against the wall. He pressed his hand above my head against the wall, and stuffed his other one in his pocket.

"Sure." I said nervously, looking into his blue eyes.

"What brings you to this side of town?" Paul asked and I rose a brow at him.

"You know I go to Hunter." I reminded him and he nodded.

"Right." He smiled. "Now I know to come around here more often."

"What are you doing here, speaking of that." I bravely asked. Paul's smile turned into a scowl, and his jaw clenched. I scanned his face from his curly quaffed hair to his full, pink, frowning lips.

"I was seeing a friend." Paul answered after a long pause. I looked into his eyes, I was smart enough not to bring the obvious to light. Who knew what he'd do or how he'd react.

"Not another girl, I hope. It'd just break my heart." I sarcastically answered and he laughed.

"You're the only girl I have in these parts." Paul smirked, moving closer in and pressing his bulge against me.

"Paul, I thought compared to Marlon, you are an intellectual. You've been exceptionally frisky these past few days." I noticed, placing my hand on his waist and slowly pushing him away.

"You bring that out in me." He said, bringing his hand out of his pocket and to my chin. He left a kiss on my lips, and even after everything I still felt sparks for him. "How about we go back to my place?"

"Is that all you want to do, Paul?" I asked and he laughed. "Besides, how can an up and coming actor like you afford a place like that anyway?"

His face became serious again. He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me close, so tightly close it was uncomfortable.

"You're real pretty." Paul noted, taking his hand off the wall and now placing both arms around my waist. "And you always smell nice."

"Paul." I mumbled, bringing my hands up to his chest.

"Is there something you're not telling me, Patricia?" Paul asked and I pulled on his lapels.

"Is there something you're not telling me?" I asked, and Paul pulled me closer into an almost suffocating kiss.

"I'll see you around." Paul grabbed my ass and then let me go, walking down the street. Out of breath, I leaned against the wall as he disappeared in the distance.

I stood up off the wall, and crossed the street. Helen stood there with her hand covering her mouth.

"Was I not supposed to give you two privacy?" Helen asked and I rolled my eyes as we made our way down the street.