18 : Unsuspected Ambush ✏️

"How-?!" Nota gasped and stumbled backwards.

    "You really thought you could ambush me in my own castle?" She walked over to the right, sneering.

    "You've been killing off all the kings in our kingdom!" I accused. "Trufor was probably next on your list, wasn't he?"

    The Queen laughed. "He was the second to last one on my list. That's why I sent guards in Blatua armor to kill him."

    "That was you?!" Nota exclaimed.

    "Why are you doing this?" I asked.

    "Because I am the only Queen ever in the Sulona kingdom. Kings always ruled over everything, and so now I am returning the favor. I am writing a page in history for myself."

    "You said Trufor wasn't the last one you planned to kill..." Nota swallowed hard. "Then who is?"

    "The last remaining royal family besides me." Her snakelike eyes locked in on...

    "Me?!" My eyes grew huge. "That's impossible!"

    "Didn't Mommy ever tell you who your Dad really was?" The Queen faced the desk and put her paws on the little box with carvings. "He was the last king in Tagonia. I payed him a little visit one Winter night."

    "You murdered my father..." My eyes teared up.

    "I only have his mate and two hatchlings to take care of now and the kingdom shall be rightfully mine." She grinned and lifted the hatch off the box.

    "Trufor is still alive, you know." Nota glared. "You'll never kill him."

    "Haven't you wondered where your backup was?" The Queen chuckled darkly as she lifted the dagger out. "I ordered every single one of my guards to attack your friends. They're either dying or fighting for their lives in battle."

    "You monster..." I snarled.

    "I'm not the monster, Zepth, you are." She faced me, dagger concealed by her side. "Yes, the royal Dark Dragon, just like your father, you're equally as foolish."

    "Why do you hate Dark Dragons so much?" I looked up at her.

    The Queen came right in front of her and gave her a deathly stare. "Your kind is unholy. You are unfit to keep your life." And she lashed out with the dagger. "But that will be taken care of shortly!"

    Nota threw herself at the Queen and knocked her to the side just in time. The dagger flew out of her paw and slid to the other side of the room. The guards with disguised faces stepped forward to assist their ruler, but she held a paw up to stop them. With little effort, she threw Nota off her.

    "Armor." She hissed. A guard came forward with her beautiful armor and helped her put it on swiftly. "Prepare to die, hatchling."

    I gathered every ounce of my power, and felt the elements flow through my veins. "It is not I that will die tonight." And I prepared to battle the Queen to the death.