Prologue

After the sun set that night, the Dragon King would fly home to his mate and hatchlings. He would always gather up the important scrolls from the throne room in his royal kingdom, and stretch his wings on the balcony that overlooked the dens and rivers scattered about his rule.

The sky was a sweet mango color, with streaks of blood red. It was beautiful. At times like this, the Dragon King would sit on the balcony and look at the world, marveling at the natural beauty. He took a deep breath, enjoying the crisp air of that tragic Winter night.

The King's balcony was built leading off the deserted castle. It was abandoned long ago when the goblin village realized there was a dragon's den, one of the original kings, long ago, on the other side of the river. It was never a good idea to build a goblin kingdom too close to a beast.

But that was in the past, and today it is now. The King had poked his head in a basket of scrolls, and chomped down on a few to take them out. He was careful because the scrolls were very old. He had taken a lap of water from the fountain in his room, sighed again at the sunset, and stood on the balcony.

He outstretched his wings. They were large and reliable, but battle-scarred and burnt. He was an old dragon; nearly three million years old, so it wasn't uncommon. At his age, he was large enough to be respected, and yet small enough to sit comfortably on the throne and fit through the doors.

He perched himself for flight, took a deep breath, and something shot up in the sky and rammed him in the chest with the force of a thunderbolt.

He roared with surprise and got up, dropping the precious scrolls on the floor. The attacker faced him, a face disguised by a unique sort of dragon armor.

It was beautiful, the armor, expertly crafted and molded into the perfect shape of the dragon who was wearing it. It was a black sort of metal that looked like iron, with silver symbols on both sides. It resembled what looked like a Sun. The horns poked out of the mask, each was tipped with silver as well. The dragon flicked its tail to an attacking position. The King gasped when he saw the tip of their tail was gloved by deadly blades.

"Who are you? Why have you come?" The Dragon King spoke firmly in the tongue used by the entire dragon species.

The enemy only bared their teeth and snarled. They took a step, tail flicking impatiently. The monster dove its claws on the ground, smashing part of the fine marble with a powerful roar.

"Your hostility is unnecessary. Speak and I shall try to understand-" The King was cut off when the attacker lunged and sunk its teeth deep into his back. The King cried in pain and swung around, trying to knock them away.

"Guards! Guards!" The King shouted, helplessly. The armored dragon dragged it's dangerous tail along his wings, injuring them so the King could not flee.

The King yelped as blood gushed out from the wounds. The dragon took a mouthful of his stomach and spat it out, and with a swift movement of its tail, beheaded the King.

His eyes froze open, his mouth hung ajar. The assassin grabbed the head by a horn with it's teeth, and flew out off the balcony.

The guards burst inside, but far too late. That one Winter night, they gave the King a ceremony and burnt the body. The whole village mourned the murder of their beloved King... the King of Tagonia.

 the King of Tagonia