12 : His Royal Highness

The large doors shut behind us, sending a wave of chilled air behind us. It was nice and comfortable in this large stone castle, kept shaded from the scorching heat of the desert sun. I wouldn't mind waiting around in here for a while and cool off.

     "You three aren't from around here, are you?" A voice startled me, as I refocused on the mission at hand.

     A handsome golden dragon in his early 20 thousands stepped gracefully out of the hallway and the throne room. He has black horns and claws, with brilliant amber eyes. Nota's jaw dropped.

     "Who are you?" Deltul cocked his head in confusion.

     "Me?" He laughed warmly. "I am King Trufor, at your service."

     "That's impossible." Nota shook her head. "King Riard is supposed to be ruling Fluwit."

     "My dear, King Riard died some 2 thousand years ago." The stranger explained.

     "No!" My eyes widened. "We have to speak with him!"

     "I'm sorry to hear that." King Trufor frowned. "Perhaps I can be of some assistance? After all, King Riard was my father."

    Once we were all comfortably seated at King Trufor's gigantic feasting table, several dragons began walking in from the kitchens

Once we were all comfortably seated at King Trufor's gigantic feasting table, several dragons began walking in from the kitchens. On their platters were delicious foods casting an aroma that made my mouth water. They rested bowls of ripe fruits, pitchers of wine, and even a glistening pig on the table.

     "So." He broke the sound of our growling stomachs. "What have you come this far distance to ask me?"

     "If you don't mind your highness-" Nota began.

     "-Please, call me Trufor." He smiled.

     "Trufor, this should be discussed in a more private setting." Nota explained.

"Certainly." He nodded and waved a paw. The other dragons who served their king bowed and swiftly left the dining chamber.

     "Deltul, why don't you go with them?" I firmly instructed. He was about to protest, when I added. "There might be desserts in the kitchens."

     He went running as fast as a shot of lightning.

"Trufor..." I started. "What do you know about the Suns of Kirah?"

     His smile dropped, and he leaned in with a serious gaze. "How do you know about them?" He whispered.

     "My mother was murdered by the Suns." Nota firmly explained. "My father and I fled here, but we are still behind hunted. We need to know how they operated and how to stay ahead of them."

"Your father helped so many escape from them, but how?" Nota continued. "How did he manage to stay ahead of them and help so many others at the same time?"

Trufor was silent for a moment, before replying black grimly. "Do not come out of hiding so soon. I assure you, they are still around and remain fully functional. My father was the first one to have rebelled, and since then, they have changed their strategies."

"Wait, that's impossible..." Nota whispered, horrified. "It's been centuries... How could the Suns of Kirah still be active?!"

     "It would seem we have more enemies than we originally thought." I leaned back, feeling drained of optimism.

     "Since my father was once one of them, I have been receiving coded scrolls to recruit me." Trufor continued. "Obviously, I never intend to join them. But their threat is real, and they don't seek out exclusively Dark Dragons anymore. All of us are in danger."

     "So their numbers are limited." Nota gathered, gritting her canines. "But they're angry. They want revenge for the betrayal."

     "I think so."

     "So what are we going to do?" I looked at them. "The Suns were thought to be gone once before. We have to make sure they end."

     "This isn't just about Dark Dragons, anyone can be a target. Anyone that gives them a reason." Nota nodded. "Who is leading them?"

     "Someone of great respect and power. They would never be taken down without a fight." Trufor replied. "They have countless supporters and a dragon army. To defy them is to take on an entire kingdom of followers."

     "Who?" I asked, growing impatient.

"-Your Highness!" A guard burst through the doors, in a panic. "Blatua guards have crossed the border! The village is being burned, and slaughtering those who can't flee! We must get you out of here, Highness!"

     "Prepare every guard we have to defend and assist the escape of our dragons, Demtro!" Trufor jumped time his feet, kicking away from the table. He shot his head towards us, and quickly instructed. "Call your sibling and follow me."

     "Deltul-!" I shrieked as a flaming boulder crashed through the stained glass and exploded onto the table, splinters and crystal shards flying everywhere. My eyes searched around, bewildered, before catching my sibling running into the room and over to us.

     "We haven't any time to lose!" Trufor slammed his paws down on the stone floor, propelling himself into the hallway with all of us right behind.

     "Shouldn't we be running for the door?!" Nota cried out, sharply turning behind Trufor around a corner.

     He stopped abruptly in the middle of one of the passages, leaned down, and lifted a plank of wood that blended perfectly with the flooring. It was a secret tunnel!

"You just hurry, the trolls will help you get out!" He shoved us forward, knocking Deltul inside the hole first. Nota jumped after him, but I hesitated.

     "What about you?!" I resisted his attempts to move me forward. He snarled in frustration.

     "I will stay behind and defend my land." He hurriedly told me. "Go now before-"

     There was a sudden, deafening crack as the main doors to his castle gave way under immense pressure. The invaders were now inside...

     "You must hurry then, who is leading the Suns?!" I was halfway in the tunnel, when I heard thunderous armor crashing down the hallway at an alarming speed.

     "Oh, for Milodr's sake!" He roared and slammed his side into me, knocking me into the hatch, and slammed the door shut with the lock.

     In the darkness, I heard a loud commotion of wings, clashing, and roars...