3 : The Prophecy

"She saw it, Mother, she saw it!" I cried. Mother knew as well as I - We would be slaughtered like pigs. There was no possible way this would end well for us.

    "Calm down, we'll figure it out. Don't worry..."

    "Mother, what's going to happen to us? What does this mark truly mean?"

She sighed at all my questions. She sat down on the stone floor of their den, calling for Deltul to come into the cave too. My mother was a confident dragon, and to see her scared was definitely not a comforting sight.

    "My darlings, I know I never told you about what really happened to your father. I think now it's time you know." She looked down in deep thought, mournfully.

    "You said he just left us!" Deltul accused. "He was there one day, gone the next!"

    "Yes, and I know what I did was wrong. But what really happened was that he was murdered. Your father was... a Dark Dragon. He was both elements of darkness and electricity. He was a great dragon and you need to understand that he loved you both very much. I thought if I kept this truth from you, you'd be safe. I am sorry."

    "Who killed him, Mother?" I leaned in, a sudden wave of determination washed over me. My heart pounded with hot blood, anger rushed throughout me. He was taken away from me, someone who I needed. How dare he be killed for something he couldn't help.

    "We... don't know." Mother confessed. "He was alone when it happened, and I don't think his killer knew about his family. That's why we are safe," she emphasized, "and will stay safe."

    Suddenly, a small dragon flew full speed into our den. He was agile and sleek, obviously a Speed Dragon. The rising sun peeked over the mountains behind him, and I realizing with horror it was time to be evaluated.

    "Apologies for the intrusion, but I was sent along with Master Grilop to find your hatchlings' elements." He smiled, energeticly. He wore small white armor, clearly of the Queen's. It was also clear he was a first-timer on assignments, and was very happy to be serving.

    "Hmm..." A grumble sounded outside of their cave-den. A dragon the size of a whale with a missing eye stuck his head inside. He appeared to be an Earth Dragon; his horns were twisted like the roots of a tree, he had moss growing all over his head, and his scales appeared as a thick layer of rock. It was the perfect camouflage.

    "You must be Master Grilop." I bowed respectfully. The Queen often tasked him with evaluation, simply because he was the oldest elder, and very wise. He's seen every elemental trait before, and could easily identify each. I never personally met him before, but I heard he was grumpy.

     "Hello Master G-" Deltul was cut off as Grilop shoved his snout into his side and knocking the wind out of him. He swerved his massive head around Deltul and inspected him.

     "This one is an Electric Dragon." He grumbled, to which the Speed Dragon hastily scribbled it down on a crumpled scroll.

    "Hmm..." Grilop moved his head over to me, now. He examined my wings, then my claws, and my tail very closely.

Mother noticeably tensed.

    "Hmmm.... Very interesting...." Grilop studied my face with his good eye. "She shows characteristics either a Darkness Dragon or a..." His eye came closer to the splotch mud on my face. With a flick of his rough tongue, he scrapped it off and gasped.

    "What?!" The messenger tried to look, but Grilop was in the way.

    "By the Gods..." He blinked hard to make sure what he saw was correct. "Go, Flitwict, tell the scroll keepers at Queen Hyla's castle to record young Zepth as a... Darkness Dragon..." He carefully ordered.

    "Oh, yes! I shall do that! I will go right now!" And the Speed Dragon flew off in a hurry.

    I backed away from Grilop and looked at his enormous face, confused.

    "Why did you do that? You saw what I am..." I shook my head. "I'm a monster. I didn't deserve your help."

    "Good Zepth... You are an incredibly rare mix of Dark Dragon. You contain characteristics of both darkness and light!" He sighed with a tired smile. "Have you not heard what the royal reader has been told by the Gods?"

    "I have not. Those readings are meant for the royal family." I frowned.

    "Queen Hyla has been our tyrant for long enough! She has sent our kingdom plummeting into chaos. She even kills her own kind!" He wailed. "The Gods told the reader that a dragon of both dark and light shall restore our glorious kingdom and rid of her cruelty once and for all!"

    "You think thats me?! No, no, no, I'm a nobody! I can barely find enough food for my family!" I blinked, overwhelmed. "There is no way in Tiignu-

    "It is you, I know it, and now I shall assist you complete your mission bound by destiny!" He chuckled and pulled his head out of the den so he could look back easier. All three of us smaller dragons stood at our den entrance in shock. "The Gods are never wrong, and if they prophesied something will happen, so it shall be. I shall return when it is safe and help you master your abilities."

    "No, wait! It's not me!" I ran after him.

    "Oh happy, happy day indeed..." And Grilop trampled the trees walking away.

" And Grilop trampled the trees walking away