4 : The Royal Reader

Meanwhile, in Tagonia's throne room...

    Queen Hyla watched the hatchling leave in fright, slamming the doors hastily behind her. The royal's grin instantly dropped and turned into a scowl at the door.

     It wasn't long after the hatchling left, that two armored guards burst through the same doors and tossed an elderly dragon at the floors in front of the detailed seat.

     "Ah, Hyraith. So kind of you to join me." The Queen remarked without warmth.

     "Highness, I live to serve you!" The royal reader, the same dragon who announced the prophecy, cried out.

     The Queen got up from her throne with fire burning in her eyes. She stepped forward, sleek tail trailing behind her, before leaning down and staring the dragon in the eye. "Traitor."

     "Please-!" He sobbed, legs going limb with fear. "I swear it! I would never betray Sulona!"

     "You did not betray Sulona, you have betrayed me." She hissed. "I gave you refuge, worm! I gave you a new start, and this is how you repay me? With some 'prophecy' that I will be overthrown by an unholy beast?!"

     "Highness-"

     "And then you have the audacity to hide from my guards like a foolish coward." She sneered in his face, causing him to flinch. "Well now we've found you, and once we find your precious hatchling, we will take care of her too."

"No! Please! Kill me! Just don't hurt her!" Hyraith howled as the guards brought him to his feet and shoved him forward.

"Oh, I don't think you're in any position to give me orders." Queen Hyla tsked, facing away. The guards positioned the dragon with his shoulders back and head out, holding him still.

She flicked her tail beside her, and inhaled deeply. "I always love this part." She whispered to herself, before spinning around wickedly fast. Her tail effortlessly sliced through the air and the blade fastened on the end sliced cleanly through the elder dragon's neck.

His limb body collapsed instantly, and his wide eyed head rolled to Queen Hyla's feet. She looked down in disgust before kicking it away.

"Clean this up." She ordered, returning to her throne. When she was comfortably seated, she inspected her talons impatiently. "And bring me his hatchling."