Chapter 2 - Blind Faith

---Kim’s POV---

The smell of leather couches, heavy cigars and men’s cologne told me that I was near the dean's office. My cane tapped against a surface and from the sound of it, it was solid wood. I heard a woman’s breathing before her chair squeaked slightly when she moved.

“Yes, can I help you?” she asked in a slightly monotone, bored tone. I smiled politely and said, “Yes, I’m enrolling today and I was asked to come to Mister Wilson.” I waited for a moment, hearing the secretary tap away on her computer. “Name?” she asked when the sharp tapping stopped for a moment.

“Hale. Kimberly Hale.” I murmured, slightly shifting my weight while I waited for recognition of my family name. It didn’t take long for the loud gasp, quickly followed by a sudden halt in the secretary’s work.

“Off course she knew”, I thought bitterly; my ‘unfortunate accident’ was spread widely over the newspapers. It’s a shame that they didn’t do anything about the bullying when I went to the police three years ago.

Taking a deep breath to calm myself, my ears heard the faint movement of feet walking towards me. I couldn’t keep the smile from my face when they started to pick up speed. When they where close enough, I quickly turned around and raised my cane while I smirked “En garde, Kath.”

Kath’s laugh filled the air while I lowered my cane and her arm looped through mine. She poked me in the ribs while she said “En garde? Seriously Kim? Perhaps we need to check your head, you sound a little strange.” I shook my head in a mocking way while I joked “If I’m crazy they you are completely insane.”

I could hear the secretary laugh with us before Kath strolled towards her. “Ok, for our classes. Kim here would like to have some art-classes and,” Kath said while a low swoosh went through the air. She had probably raised her hand, pointing a finger to the selection of classes. “I want her in that class too.”

The chair let a loud ‘squeak’ when the lady moved forwards before I heard her stutter “I-I’m sorry, not to be rude or anything but can a b-b…” she kept stuttering over the last word and I liked her instantly; she didn’t want to hurt my feelings by making remarks over my condition.

“Miss,” I spoke in a soft, reassuring tone, “I’m blind but not dead. It could have been worse.” I felt Kath cringe next to me when I said death. Feeling her emotions starting to play with her mind, I gently tugged at her arm while I asked, “So, what is this lesson that I can or can not do?”

I heard a nervous chuckle along with a shuffling sound and I turned towards Kath, the smile dropping from my face. What was she nervous about?

“Don’t freak out okay? I just wanted to get you back on the running tracks with me, like we practiced in your first year. You seemed to like running, it brought more confidence in your step. And, you know, you smiled a lot after you ran. Oh, please don’t cry.” Kath whimpered when a tear rolled down my cheek.

I shook my head while a smile broke on my face and I threw myself at her, crushing her in a hug. “You don’t know how long I’ve been waiting to go on a run but mom was persistent that I’m too frail to do that.” I slowly moved my hand through the air until I found Kath’s face.