Chapter Thirty-Five

Everyone’s eyes swivel to Brinn.

Fight back? Against the Heads?

Piper stares at Brinn, “We couldn’t do that. We can’t risk everyone’s lives just to save two.”

Brinn shrugs, “Maybe there isn’t a risk. We have twenty people here, more if any villagers want to fight. That isn’t many, I know, but we have Derek on our side and the other Officials Bridget and Canon have been gathering.  Besides, think of how many people would be willing to fight in the Unknown. If they knew their life is at risk, they will want to fight.”

“But there lives don’t have to be at risk. If Claire and I just go, we’ll eliminate all of that.”

“Unless Ellen decides she wants to kill a couple people in the Unknown anyway, just for fun.”

Piper starts to protest, but Brinn asks, “What’s stopping her? Maybe she’ll realize that they don’t need that many people. Maybe she’ll think that it’ll be much more manageable if it had half the numbers. What if she does go in the Unknown, and sees the free place it has become? How do you think she’ll feel about that?”

“Once she gets us, she’ll have no reason to go in the Unknown.”

“You can’t be sure, though, can you?”

Piper is quiet. Would they really fight back to save our lives?

Spara says, “I don’t know if we will ever get a better time. If we could enlist the help of the people in the Unknown, especially if they have their own lives to fight for, we might be successful. The only thing I don’t like is the lack of time. Tomorrow afternoon? It’s a little close.”

James says, “We don’t really have much choice.”

Nikolas speaks, his voice quietly low, “I don’t like it. I’ve never liked the idea of fighting back.”

Spara snaps, “Then you don’t have to fight. It’s just that simple.”

Nikolas merely blinks at her, unfazed by her outburst.

Spara turns, to address the crowd of children that are clearly listening into the conversation. “I know you’ve heard at least part of what was just said. It’s true. We are going back into the Complex, almost all of us. Anyone under twelve years needs to stay. We are going to finally fight back against the Heads. I’m sorry, but tonight is going to be an early night. We’ll inform you of the plan in the morning. If anyone does not personally want to fight, they are free to discuss it with me and stay behind.”

A voice rings out, high-pitched with youth, “What if we want to fight anyway?

The person steps forward as they say this. It’s a small child, maybe only an eight or nine year.

Brinn says, “We appreciate your willingness to fight, but we need you here. When we return, we need someone to keep the village ready for us. We might be all hurt and need your assistance. You are just as important.”

Whispers slip through the crowd, but no one speaks out. After a minute or so, Spara nods, “We are going to go discuss this. Remember, the second you finish eating, go to bed. We’ll have a group meeting early in the morning, and you can ask any questions then.”

With that Spara, Nikolas, James, Brinn, and Piper turn to leave. Theo and I start to follow.

Brinn says, “Theo, Claire, you can stay here. Eat something and then go to sleep. We’ll have Rose and Marrielle show you your bedrooms, okay?”

I ask, “Why can’t I come? My life is one of the main risks. I’m one of the main reasons that this is happening. Shouldn’t I have at least some say in what happens?”