Chapter Five

They carry me down the hall for several minutes. My instincts scream at me, begging me to open my eyes and fight, but I keep my eyelids shut and my muscles loose.

My feet drop to the ground, my heels slamming against the floor. Someone lowers my bottom to the floor, so that I’m propped upwards against the wall.

An Official ties something soft over my eyes and around my head, yanking it to tie it tightly in a knot. The light in front of my eyes dims. I hesitantly open my eyes a sliver, seeing nothing but black.

I widen my eyes, my eyes swiveling frantically, trying to see anything, something. Nothing.

I realize that they must have tied a black piece of fabric over my eyes, making it impossible to see.

A sharp pain pierces my wrist. I bite my tongue to keep from crying out.

My hands are yanked behind my back and I feel a rough fabric being tied around my wrists as well.

I’m once again picked up. I hear the whoosh of a door opening. I’m swung forward. I fly through the air for half a second before landing hard on my side, my right arm taking more of the impact. I bite my tongue as pain slices through me.

I rock back and forth, struggling to sit up. The floor offers no type of leverage, but I’m able to push myself into a sitting position, my legs partially folded beneath me.

I bend and stretch my fingers, but I can’t untie the thick cloth keeping my wrists together.

I can’t shake the ominous feel that seems to cling to wherever I am. It’s full of deafening silence that seems to have crawled inside my throat, taking away my breath.

A scream rips through the air. It’s sounds far away, echoing across walls.

At least I know there’s another person nearby. Maybe I can find her and she can help untie me. If she’s okay. Something must have happened to her, why else would she have screamed?

The air returns to its previous silence, the traces of the scream lingering in the air.

Is this the Unknown?

I hear the pattering of footsteps somewhere in front of me, growing louder as the person becomes closer.

This could be my only chance to be freed of these knots. I shout, “Hello? Could you help me? I’ve been tied up. Please?”

I listen closely, waiting for a response. No sounds ring out. Even the footsteps have stopped.

Did they leave? Why wouldn’t the person help me? Was she an Official? Does she just not care?

Maybe, in the Unknown there are a lot of rules, just like in the Complex. Maybe if the person had helped me, she would have gotten herself in trouble.

But how can Officials punish you if you are already in the Unknown?

Something lands on my shoulders, sending me flying backwards. My head crashes to the floor, sending jarring pain shooting through my skull. Sharp fingernails dig into my shoulders. I wish I could at least see who and where my attacker is.

I impulsively lash out at the person holding me down. I buck up my body and slam my knees into their back. The person doesn’t respond, doesn’t flinch, or even attempt any type of self defense. They allow me to pound my knees into their spine as something scratches up and down my skin. Tears prickle into my eyes.

I need to get this person away from me before they do any serious damage.

I twist my body. I feel the person’s weight shift. I take the opportunity to send my knee smashing into where I think their head should be. I make solid contact, splinters of pain tracing down my knee. The person lurches forward even more, sliding off my body.