Chapter Twenty

I blink, “What?”

Miranda begins pacing, “Nothing, nothing.”

 “Why would someone need to save my life?”

Miranda just shakes her head, “It doesn’t matter. You’ll find out soon. You can’t say a word about this to anyone else.”

“Why?”

Miranda calmly responds, “Because that could result in your death.”

“What?”

 “You’ll find out tomorrow.”

I press my teeth together in frustration.

Miranda takes a deep breath, “So you’re Claire and your number is 274, correct?”

I nod, irritated that she changed the topic.

“Do you have any roommates in the Unknown.”

I once again bob my head in agreement.

“Who are they?”

“Um, Sarah, she was sent here a year and a half ago. Then my other roommate was sent her when we were only six years so I don’t know her that well.”

“That’s okay, what’s her name.”

“Charlotte.”

Miranda’s eyebrows raise in surprise, “Charlotte?”

“Yeah, I think that was her name.”

 “Red hair? Bubbly? Giggly?”

“Um, she didn’t have red hair, but she certainly was bubbly and giggly. That was what got her sent to the Unknown. She couldn’t be quiet,” I smile to myself at the memory.

Miranda seems confused for a second, but gasps, “Right, they dyed her hair. Did she have brown, really curly hair?”

 “I don’t remember…we were only six years. Besides, her hair was in a braid all the time.”

Miranda types something into the black strap on her wrist, the same one that Harry had. She reads something on a hologram, before nodding, “Yeah, you’re roommates with Charlotte.; That’s great, she and I are good friends. I’ll have her come visit you. She’s an R.I., so I can arrange it so that she has you.”

 “Has me for what?”

 “Sorry, I got a little ahead of myself. There’s a lot to explain to you about the Unknown. We’ll get to that though once you’re feeling a little better.”

Miranda glances at the black strap across her wrist and stands, “I need to get going.”

I wordlessly watch as she strides towards the door. She turns back and flashes a mischievous grin, “I’ll see you tomorrow, Claire.”

She doesn’t look back as she leaves the room.

I swallow hard, unsure of what to make of her. She seemed sincere, but she didn’t seem to care too much about what I thought. She had her mind made up and I wasn’t going to change it.

Who would be trying to kill me?

Michelle reenters the room, the bright smile still on her face. “So, how was it?”

I shrug, not sure how to respond.                                     

Michelle laughs, “She can be pretty intimidating, I know. Don’t worry, she’s a lot nicer than she first seems.”