Chapter Forty-Six

The sudden light blinds my eyes. Black spots dancing across my vision. The Ecru cry out in the brightness. I take advantage of their distraction, twisting beneath the Ecru on top of me. It lurches to one side and I drive my knee into its back.

The spots dim and my eyes frantically scan the hallway for my knife. They land on the blade, only a pace away from my arm. I stretch my hand out, but it’s too far away by only an inch. The Ecru has refocused on me, hissing into my face. I slam my knee into its back again, pushing myself sideways. My fingers tighten around the handle.

I jab the knife into the Ecru’s throat. The Ecru blinks in surprise, opening its mouth to screech. Blood pours out of its mouth, streaming on to me. I shove it backwards and it collapses to the floor. I crawl out from beneath it, and sprint to where Theo is.

He’s throwing punches, but they have no effect. I slam my foot into the nearest Ecru’s head. Pain spikes through my foot and I’m thrown off balance. The Ecru only wobbles. Theo says, “You might have to try a bit harder than that, my dear.”

I slide my knife along the Ecru’s neck. “My name’s Claire.”

Theo manages a grin and grabs the other two Ecru’s heads, slamming them together. They sway but hold their place, silently taunting us.

“You watch the other ones, I’ve got these two.” Theo drives his fist to an eye.

I stand, scanning the hall. Ecru bodies litter the hall, thick black blood pooling on the floor. A couple Ecru pace a couple feet down the hall. They take a couple steps down the hall and then turn back towards us.

They must have the same instincts as the other breed did. They want to leave when it was obvious that they couldn’t win the fight. Something is forcing them to stay here.

The bright light washes out their skin, making them an even paler white. Their blank eyes stare at us, the same color as their flesh.

They’re all so young.

I stare at the Ecru who pinned me down, whom I murdered. Colorless hair hangs in tangles around her almost innocent face. Ecru blood drips over thin neck on to her fragile collar bones. She can’t be older than a nine year.

I hold my knife up as a warning to the Ecru several paces away. They stare at it before turning away. They slowly walk away in a perfect line, each step even and controlled. All in perfect synchronization.  Shivers dance along my skin.

Theo grunts and I turn back to him. I hand my knife to him. He quickly stabs the Ecrus, splattering himself in inky black. He stands and brushes himself off.

He hands the knife back to me and retrieves his own several paces down the hall. “Shall we be off?”

I blink at him. How can he act so calm after what just happened? We almost just died.

“We can see where are going now, it’ll be much easier to find Ellen.”

“I…” The words get stuck in my throat. The adrenaline is quickly fading, leaving behind only sweat, fear, and aching. Fingernail marks imprint my skin, blood prickling with a stinging. How can Theo look so carefree?

Theo doesn’t wait for me and begins to stride away, the opposite way that the Ecru left. I stumble to keep up with him. He’s right. We need to keep on moving. We don’t know where the next Ecru pack will be or how long this burst of light will last.

“Who do you think turned on the lights?” I ask.

“I don’t know. Maybe Derek escaped and was able to restart them. Maybe Ellen got bored and is just playing with us, making us think it’s over. Or better yet, she’s got her next horror ready, and wants us to see it clearly.”