Chapter Twenty-Seven

I sat on the steps of the Entrance Courtyard, looking out at the place where mere hours before, I had died and Harry had come back to life, and then he had killed Voldemort. I morbidly wondered to myself if they'd put a plaque in marking that this was the spot where Harry Potter finally overcame evil. Maybe they'd rename the courtyard 'Harry Potter Place.' I'm sure he'd just adore that.

Behind me, somebody cleared their throat, but I knew it wasn't Draco. The voice was too old and feminine to belong to my fiancé, who still had to make an appearance even though it was nearing midday and it had been over three hours since I'd met my father. Whatever he was doing, he was taking his time.

I looked over my shoulder and saw that it was Professor McGonagall waiting to speak to me. "Miss Weasley, a word if I may?" she asked in her broad Scottish accent. I sighed and pushed myself to my feet, only because I doubted that she could sit down easily at her age, and crossed my arms as I waited for her to speak.

"Miss Weasley, I was wondering if you were considering returning to Hogwarts next year, to repeat your seventh year?"

I sighed; honestly I would have loved to. I knew that Hermione was planning to, and so would all of the muggle born students who hadn't been allowed to attend this past year. But I couldn't. I shrugged my shoulders at Professor McGonagall - Headmistress McGonagall as she's now known - and shook my head. "I can hardly attend a magic school without any magic, Professor."

She pursed her lips and exhaled deeply. "I had heard about that, although I hoped it was just gossip. You really surrendered your magic in order to save Mr Malfoy?"

I nodded and stared out at the viaduct, where I was hoping to see Draco any moment now. "Yes Professor. For Draco, I would give up anything gladly. I love him, with all my heart."

A silence fell between us as Professor McGonagall moved forward and stared out at the viaduct with me. "I was in love, once. There was a muggle boy near the village where I grew up - Dougal his name was. I loved him fiercely, and he loved me, but we could never be together. He didn't know that I was a witch, you see, and marrying him would mean the end of my career at the Ministry of Magic. So I turned him away, and ignored all of his letters trying to win me back. In the end he moved on, as did I, but I have always regretted letting my ambition overrule my heart."

Professor McGonagall turned to me and sighed. "I know that Professor Slughorn has many contacts in the potions world, and that you met with Illyria Dove at his Christmas party last year. Perhaps he would be able to sort out a position for you..."

I looked up, my eyebrows raised. I hadn't even thought about my future yet - without magic, it seemed like there wasn't one for me in this world. "But Professor, I have no..."

"Magic, yes, you've already said," Professor McGonagall replied sharply. "But I have always believed - and correct me if I'm wrong - that you don't need magic to create potions. Even if you did, I'm sure you could hire somebody to wave the wand for you."

I stared down at my hands, which seemed duller now that there was no magic coursing through my veins, and McGonagall's gaze softened. "You need to move on with your life, Miss Weasley, whether it has Mr Malfoy in it or not. You can't just loiter arond the corridors here if you're not a student."

I tried to remember Illyria Dove; she was a glamerous woman who had seemed kind enough, and she'd told me at the time that if I ever wanted to come and do some work at her company, I'd be more than welcome. Surely she'd listen to my story and would take me in?

"Thank you Professor," I replied with a genuine smile, looking up at the new Headmistress. She nodded down at me and sniffed. "There is one more thing, Miss Weasley. How exactly did you wield Godric Gryffindor's sword?"