Chapter Twenty-Five

The first time I was born, I was born to my mother's screams, my brother's cries and the loud absence of a father there to encourage my mother and help me into the world. It was my mother's arms I felt around me, rocking me and speaking words of love into my ears. It was Perseus' lips I felt kiss my forehead, tender and caring for his new baby sister. It was the taste of my mother's milk, the sight of her beautiful blue eyes and dark hair, matted with sweat and yet still stunning. It was all so normal, and yet even then, I knew that there was something missing.

The second time I was born, it was to the distant sound of exploding curses. Screaming students and parts of the castle falling. It was the cold, damp floor of the Forbidden Forest that I felt underneath me, and the taste of the cold air that filled my mouth as I took a deep, drawn breath that revived me. As I opened my eyes, it was the tall green trees towering above me that met me, and beyond that the sky, full of smoke and fire. The battle had recommenced, I realised immediately.

It had worked, I thought to myself as I slowly twitched my fingers and toes. Cassiopeia had really done it - I was alive.

I sat up and checked myself over. My body was free from any cuts and bruises, just like in death, and I felt stronger and fitter than I had done in months. My skin was free from blemishes (except of course for the dark mark, which still marked my skin as it no doubt always would), and my hair was thick and soft, with more vibrancy and colour than it had done in a long time. My eyesight was sharper and I could hear all of the sounds around me, from the trickle of a nearby stream to the sound of breathing next to me.

That was when I snapped to look to my left, and I saw Draco.

He was the most beautiful, stunning, incredible thing I had ever seen, and my heart burst with joy upon his face. Death had brought him back better, I could see; his own hair was thicker and more alive, his skin was smoother and any injuries he'd previously bore were gone, leaving him perfect. His dark mark too was still there, but I wouldn't have it any other way, because it reminded me of what we'd been through. He looked so much stronger and healthier, and ironically more alive than he had done in such a long time.

His eyes were shut, as if he were still sleeping. I stroked his cheek, which was cold to touch. He didn't awaken - if he wasn't breathing, then I'd have thought he was still dead.

I tried to wake him, but it was no use. He continued to sleep, oblivious to me and the battle raging around us.

The snake, I remembered as I glanced down at the locket. I had to get to it before the others, to pay for the other people that Cassiopeia had brought back. The other bodies were nowhere to be seen, but something told me not to worry about that now. As if I was still connected to her, I heard her voice in the wind.

"They will wake when the debt is paid..." an unseen voice whispered in my ear. I found that I was still clutching the Resurrection Stone in my hand, and nodded to Cassiopeia's spirit, although I couldn't see it.

I dragged myself to my feet and looked up, before letting out a noise of shock and amusement. In the tree above us sat the tree-house, the one that Draco had brought me to so long ago, untouched by the war. We must be in a deep part of the woods to be here, and there was no way that I could run back to the castle in time. The only way would be to fly.

But how? I had no magic anymore to carry myself, and no wand even if I did. Then I remembered the spare broom Draco had left here - his firebolt - and my heart lifted. Even without magic, I could still fly on a broom!

I hauled Draco's body up and wrapped his arm around my shoulders, heaving him towards the tree-house. Clambering up with his weight was difficult, but I managed it, and when we reached the door I took out the golden key I wore on a chain around my neck and pushed it into the lock. The door unlocked, and as I pushed it open I found that it was exactly the same as it had been the last time I'd seen it. There was a mattress in the corner from the few occasions where Draco had been working too late and had slept over, so I laid him down on it and smoothed his hair down. "I'll be back soon," I whispered into his ear as I kissed him. Then, I jumped up, each passing second another second gone, and grabbed his broom from the wall it was propped against. I cast another, final glance at him as I lifted one leg over the broom, and blew a kiss in his direction.