Chapter Fifteen

"Ahh, Andromeda," Bellatrix cawed to me, beckoning me forward menacingly. I looked to Draco and his parents, who were stood by the wall and looking at me tentatively. Draco shook his head weakly at me, and I realised that they'd already asked him and he'd denied who they were. Clenching my fists, I stepped forward, determined to do the same.

It was strange staring at my brother for the first time in nearly six months. I'd been so sure that they'd abandoned me, that they hadn't looked hard enough for me in the Forest of Dean, but as the months had passed I'd come to realise that it was more my own fault for being stupid enough not to cast the protective spells around my tent all those months ago. Besides, if I hadn't been caught, then I wouldn't have been able to spend these past months with Draco.

"Think very carefully Andromeda, think about who took care of you for all these months. None of them came to look for you, none of them tried to rescue you. Who are you going to choose? Because if these are them, and we find out that you've lied, the Dark Lord will personally slaughter you, Draco, and all three of these traitors. Whose side are you on Andromeda?"

I stepped closer to Harry, whose hair was being held back by Bellatrix. His face truly was battered - it looked like he'd been on the receiving end of one of Hermione's hexes - and I found myself crouching down in front of him and tucking my hair behind my ears as, slowly, I reached out and touched his face.

He didn't wince under my touch, which was gentle and wary unlike Bellatrix. I turned his face towards the light, pretending to be examining him carefully even though I already knew who it was.

"I can't be sure," I said finally. 

Bellatrix hissed at me and threw Harry to the ground, before stepping over him and grabbing my hair. I cried out in pain as she pulled me up to her face, Draco rushed forward before being restrained by two Snatchers close to him. I recognised one of them from the night I was taken.

"Look closely," she snarled into my face, "if we are the ones to hand Potter over to the Dark Lord, everything will be forgiven."

I hissed at her. "I've nothing to be forgiven for."

Bellatrix slapped me across the cheek, and I felt a hot trail of blood work its way down my cheek from the broken skin. In the corner, Esmeralda smirked in amusement.

"Think of it this way then, you little slut. If you turn them in, you and Draco can be together forever. You can stay in that cottage, get married and spawn dozens of children. Maybe the Dark Lord will leave you both in peace permanently - Snape can go back to making his potions for him, and you'll both be free. It's everything you've ever wanted. So take it."

She tossed me to the floor roughly, and I felt my face smack against the cold floor. I grimaced in pain before slowly hauling myself up and dragging myself over to where Harry lay on the floor. Once again, I reached out and touched his face, apologising to him with my eyes for what I was about to do. Then, I hauled myself to my feet, and drew my wand.

"It's not him," I snarled.

Bellatrix's eyes seemed to double in size as she watched me furiously. "You stupid child! Don't lie to me!"

I hissed at her and shook my head, raising my wand threateningly. "You can go to Hell."

She sent a curse flying at me, but I blocked it and sent it back. We duelled each other, sending and blocking curse after curse, until she hesitated for just a moment, and I caught her in the stomach with the Cruciatus Curse. A chill ran through me as I tortured her, her screams filling the air just for a moment before the Snatchers intervened and knocked me to the floor, ripping my wand from my hand and breaking my concentration.