Chapter Seventeen

"What do you know of the Deathly Hallows?" Harry asked Mr Ollivander, curiosity written all over his face.

I frowned, and looked to Ron and Hermione. "The Deathly Hallows? As in the children's story...?"

Hermione nodded at me and then looked back to Harry. "We'll explain later," Ron muttered in reply, eager to hear Mr Ollivander's response. The old man gulped and rubbed his brow, thinking hard before he answered. "It is rumoured that there are three; the Elder Wand; the Cloak of Invisibility, to hide you from your enemies; and the Resurrection Stone, to bring back loved ones from the dead. Together, they make one the master of death.

"But few truly believe that such objects exist," he added quickly, upon seeing the glint in Harry's eyes. "Do you?" Harry asked him quickly, before he could change the topic. "Do you believe they exist, sir?"

Mr Ollivander flicked his eyes between us, uncertainty written on his features. "Well," he stammered, "I see no reason to put stock into an old wives tale."

"You're lying," Harry retorted. Mr Ollivander's uneasy smile diminished as Harry continued warily. "You know one exists. You told him about it. You told him about the Elder Wand, and where he could go looking for it."

Mr Ollivander looked at Harry in horror, the guilt filling his eyes as he gulped and shut his eyes for a moment, calming himself before starting to speak again. "He tortured me..." he stammered, drifting off as if he couldn't bear to relive the experience in any greater detail. Guilt filled me as I wondered if it had been one of my potions that had caused him such pain, or that it had happened up at Malfoy Manor, with Draco and I such close proximity and so happy. 

"Besides, I only conveyed rumours," he continued, staring at the floor so that he wouldn't have to meet Harry's gaze. "There's... there's no telling whether he'll find it."

Harry sighed deeply as his lip quivered slightly. "He has found it, sir."

Mr Ollivander looked up slowly, terror filling his eyes as he realised what he had done. I tried to recall my memories of the Elder Wand from my childhood; the tales of Beedle the Bard having been my favourite book as a child. I had many memories of Ron, Ginny and I all climbing into Mum and Dad's bed, burying ourselves beneath the covers as Mum took a seat at the foot of the bed and began to read. Before long, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill and even Percy would come in too and climb into bed, and together we would all cuddle and listen for hours to Mum reading until she decided it was time for us younger ones to go to bed. But still, despite the many readings, I couldn't remember many details about this infamous 'Elder Wand.' I could barely remember the story it was from, although three brothers did ring a bell.

"We'll let you rest, Sir," Harry muttered to Mr Ollivander, standing up and rejoining Ron, Hermione and I. 

"He's after you, Mr Potter," Mr Ollivander called after us. Harry stopped and looked over his shoulder, listening as Mr Ollivander sighed and continued. "If it's true, what you say, and he has the Elder Wand, I'm afraid you really don't stand a chance."

Hermione glowered at Mr Ollivander. I tugged at Harry's sleeve and pulled him gently after me. But Harry stood still and, as calm and collected as I had ever heard him, replied "I suppose I'll have to kill him before he finds me, then."

With that, Harry Potter stormed out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So what's going on then? All of this about the Elder Wand?" I asked as I mixed a batch of polyjuice potion. The others were sat around the kitchen watching as I worked, Hermione taking notes on how to speed up the brewing process and Ron chopping through an apple.