Chapter Ten

My head pounded violently as I slowly came around, my eyes flickering open and then squeezing shut again from the harshness of the light pouring through the window. I automatically pulled the fine silk sheets up to my eyes in an attempt to block out some of the cruel light.

It was then that I thought to myself, wait, windows? Silk sheets that indubitably cost more than I had to my name?

The last thing I remembered, I'd been lying in my bunk-bed in a tent, waking up as I subconsciously remembered that I'd forgotten to place protective enchantments around the tent. Then, the Snatcher appeared, and I was knocked out.

Now, I definitely wasn't in the tent.

The walls were papered in a dark brocade, and for a foolish moment I thought that I was back at 12 Grimmauld Place, and the entire ordeal had been nothing more than a bad dream. But as I reached up and pushed my fingers to the side of my head, a sharp pain stabbed me, a lump the size of an egg protruding from my scalp. I then remembered that I'd gotten rid of all of the dark wallpaper at Grimmauld Place - wherever this was, I didn't recognise it.

I pulled myself upright, ignoring the dizzy feeling that had overcome me and looking around. I was lying in an extravagant rosewood bed, the four posters carved with ivy leaves and tiny berries. A matching wardrobe and chest of drawers could be found opposite the bed, and from my position I could see through one of the doors a bathroom with white and black tiles. 

I dragged myself out of the bed, my feet shaking beneath me as I stumbled and struggled to regain my balance. I was no longer wearing my own clothes - instead somebody had dressed me in a long white nightgown, the sort of thing you'd expect to see in a Jane Austen novel. My hair had been brushed diligently, falling in soft waves at my back as I staggered towards the bathroom.

The tiles were cold beneath my feet, but I barely paid attention as I grabbed the sink to steady myself and peered into the mirror. My skin was paler than ever; seeming to have a grayish tinge, and there were purple bags beneath my eyes, my lips hauntingly dark against my almost translucent skin. 

Somebody had left a toothbrush and unopened tube of toothpaste by the sink, and a neatly folded towel over the bath, where I found shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. Still, taking a bath wasn't at the forefront of my mind right now, the only thing I wanted was to know where I was, and more importantly, where I could find my wand.

Heading back into the bedroom, I stumbled towards the other, closed door. Shaking the doorknob, I swore as I realised that it was locked from the outside -  clearly I was someone's prisoner. Next I hobbled to the window, trying to jimmy it open but to no avail. Without my wand, it was useless.

I couldn't find my cherry wand anywhere, not on the bedside table or in the drawers, nor hidden beneath the pillows or in the bathroom. After turning the room upside down, there was nothing but an assortment of clothes in the wardrobe and a pile of books in the corner to be found.

"Where am I?" I muttered to myself, now having regained my balance. I slumped onto the bed and pulled my knees up to my chest as I leaned my back against one of the posts, running my fingers along the carvings as I tried to think of an escape plan. I hadn't tried apparition without a wand, but I understood the principal and if I could apparate to my parents house, they'd be able to help me if any splinching occurred.

I shut my eyes and concentrated hard on the place I called home, letting every memory I'd ever had there fill my mind. I'd been happy at the Burrow, sad at the Burrow, excited, angry, disappointed and a whole flurry of other emotions. As I kept that image locked in my head, I twisted my body, waiting for the familiar sensation of being pulled upwards. But it didn't come.