Part IX

Thomas woke up to the amused smile of Teresa hanging over him.

"Wha--?!" He jerked away, banging his shoulder against the wall.

She laughed, slipping off the bed. "Calm down, it's just me. You left the door open so I thought you were awake."

"What are you doing here?"

Teresa shrugged, looking bored. "No one told me they had plans today so I decided to see what you were up to. We don't get to see each other much, Tom. It's sad." She gestured to the door, still half-open, and said, "Want to grab lunch? We have a lot to catch up on."

Thomas smiled. "Yeah, sure."

Hanging out with Teresa brought back fond memories to Thomas

Hanging out with Teresa brought back fond memories to Thomas. They'd been friends since elementary, but drifted apart during the four years they were away from each other. Teresa's appearance in WCKD U. had been an unexpected but pleasant surprise. Thomas wasn't sure what she was studying, they didn't really bother with things like that. They only talked about their hopes and wishes for the future and how her relationship with Aris faired. (Thomas didn't really like the guy, but he supposed he would never accept any guy she dated.) Even now, as Thomas munched on a grilled chicken wrap and Teresa picked at her French fries, their conversation wheeled back around to Aris and their friends.

"I have no classes with him this semester, but he promised to make a better effort in sparing free time for us."

"I told that to the guys too."

Teresa chewed on a french fry, her blue eyes inquisitive. "What's with you and them anyway?"

Thomas felt his heart skip a beat. "What do you mean?"

"Are you dating Newt or Minho?" She dipped her fry into the small container of ketchup. "I always thought they were dating each other but Rachel said she saw Minho get really cozy with you the other day. Did they break up?"

"Uh, not exactly."

She frowned. "What's that supposed to mean?"

He cleared his throat, surprisingly uncomfortable. Teresa was an opened minded girl, had always been, but Thomas wasn't sure exactly how far that extended. He didn't want to trouble her, or worse, didn't want to lose her friendship over something like this. Still, not telling her was something he didn't want to do. They were childhood friends after all.

"It's... complicated." He said instead, wincing.

She smirked. "I'm listening."

"Alright but... don't freak out." He pleaded.

She sat up straighter and gave a small nod to show he had her undivided attention. Thomas took a deep breath, his hands trembling.

"I'm dating them both. Together."