Chapter Five - The Key

Aiden's P.O.V

''I am one of them.'' I said looking into her eyes. ''I am a Fallen.''

''How- How did you fall?'' she asked. I could see a glimpse of fear in her eyes. For some reason I didn't want her to think I was bad. I didn't want her to think that I was the same as them.

''When God created the Angels he gave them free will.'' I started, turning away from her and sighed. ''He gave us the opportunity to choose for ourselves whether we stay by His side or not. I watched many of them being cast from Heaven.'' The pictures of their faces, the sound of their scream before they fell wouldn’t leave my head. It was something that I will never forget.''

''I'm sorry.'' She said after a bit of silence.

''You don't have to be.'' I said as I looked at her again. ‘Yes, they sinned and were cast from heaven but they could walk among the humans. You Humans live so freely, oblivious to the things around you. I was envious. I was a Watcher, yet I wanted to walk among you and I wanted to be seen by you. Those feelings stirred a war inside of me for many years, until I finally made a decision.'' I looked in front of me clenching my fists. I could feel her eyes on me, but I couldn't look at her, at least not when I was about to tell her.

''I was cast out. I still remember the fall, the pain I felt as my wings burned.'' The fire burned me for days, leaving me screaming from the agony. I flinched a bit as the memory of that day came flashing back. It hurts. Let it stop. It hurts so bad... I clenched my fists even tighter, making my knuckles turn white, as I try to push away that memory.  

''I knew that it will be painful, but I haven't expected it to be that painful. It felt like my still-beating heart was pulled out of my body and stabbed with thousands of needless.'' I looked at Harmony again, expecting to see pity in her eyes, yet there was something else there, something that I couldn't recognize.

''I haven't sinned, but the pain was the same.'' I finished and without waiting for her to say anything, got out of the car and walked back to the camp.

''Hey, where did you disappear to again?'' Reece yelled and waved me to them when he saw me approaching.

''I went for a walk.'' I said and sat next to him. When he saw Harmony coming back the same way he looked at me with a raised eyebrow and nudged me with his elbow. I could see him grin as I rolled my eyes. That was Reece for you. Even if I tried to tell him the truth he would assume that I’m lying to cover up that I hooked up with a girl. Sometimes I wonder if girls are the only things he ever thinks about.  Well seeing how he was now about to go and flirt with the friend of Harmony, I think I was right.

Seth's P.O.V

Usually I would have needed to have an assignment and the help of an Archangel to open the gate with the Sacred key.  So I figured all would need is to borrow the key. I was thinking of making an excuse to borrow Ariel's key but remembered that she was the only one that haven't had her key, which was always a bit weird to me. Thankfully I knew where the other keys were kept.

The east wing of the headquarters was the room where the souls we brought back were placed before they were meant to be sent to the sorting facility of sorts, where the souls who are qualified to be angels are selected. Right next to it was where the Sacred keys were kept without any supervision. I walked in, firstly checking if anybody would be there, but since it was time for dinner no one was in sight, and grabbed the first key in sight and put it around my neck, carefully tucking it under my shirt. I just hoped that this key didn't belong to neither Michael or Gabriel since they would surely notice that it was missing. With hurried steps I headed to the Heaven's gate. Checking once more that no one was around I slowly slipped the key out from under my shirt and put the key into the lock and turned it. It unlocked silently and with a sigh of relief I leaped out and watched as the gate closed behind me and locked itself, ensuring that no one will know (until it's found out that both me and the key are missing) that it was opened without permission. Sneaking out of Heaven went easier than I had expected, I thought as I headed toward an apartment building hoping that he was home. The sun was setting over the town painting the sky in a golden hue and I couldn’t help but think of that girl and the moment our eyes locked. She seemed so familiar for a moment, like I had seen her somewhere, but that couldn't have been the case. I was sure of it.

I stood in front apartment 305B and knocked, but nobody answered. With a sigh I went to take the spare key from under the withered flower pot next to the fire extinguisher and let myself in. I just hope that he didn't left for a trip around the world or something. I needed to talk with someone who maybe had a little more knowledge of what was going on here.