Chapter Two - A feather in the wind

"Over the next few classes, we are going to concentrate on analyzing poems." Mr. Parker, our English teacher announced, waving the copies of our assigments in his hands before he hands them to the students in the first rows, to pass it on. 

"So for our next class, which is on Wednesday, I want everyone of you to bring me three of your favorite poems." Some of the students looked at him in disagreement. "I know that some of you don't usually read poems, but this homework may effect your final grades, so I want all of you to hand it in." I took a look at the printout. 

HOMEWORK

1.WRITE DOWN THREE OF YOUR FAVORITE POEMS. 

2. WHY DID YOU CHOOSE THESE PARTICULAR POEMS?

3. A SHORT BIOGRAPHY OF THE WRITER/S

The bell rang as I put the printout in my notebook then in the bag. This was the last class for today, so I went to meet up with Chloe at the parking lot. She was already there, talking to a girl from her Biology class. If I recall correctly, her name was Eva.

"Oh, hi Harmony. I was just talking about you." Chloe said when I approached them.

"Hi." I said, unlocking thy car and putting by bag on the backseat. "So what were you talking about?"

"I was just talking to Eva about going to the new bookstore with you, so Eva asked if she could join us."

"It's fine with me." I said. 

The place where the new bookstore opened, used to be a cafe. Chloe and I used to go there after school. It was owned by  Mrs. Brenton, who was a very kind women.  But last year she got sick and her daughter decided to sell the place. For many months it stayed empty but about two months ago someone bought it and it was decided that it's gonna be a bookstore.                                                  

I parked my car in front of the bookstore. As I waited for Chloe and Eva I got a strange feeling; I felt someone staring at me from a distance, but no matter where I turned I couldn't see anyone strange.  It must have been my imagination.

They arrived five minutes later and we went in. The walls were white with printed quotes, pictures of famous writers were hanging down the walls, between the rows of  shelves there were colorful bean-bag chairs so you could sit down and read. 

 "Welcome. How may I help you?" a pleasant woman in her early thirties, standing by the counter greeted us.

"We are just looking around." Eva said.

"Okay. If you need my help just call me. Would you like some hot beverage while you're looking?" she asked, pointing to the hot beverage machine next to the counter. 

"That sounds great. I would like a hot chocolate." Chloe said, then went to the Romance section.

"Same for me." Eva said sitting down on one of the bean-bag chairs.

"I'll pass." I said, looking around. "Where can I find the Poetry section?"

"Just go up the stairs. It should be in the middle raw." she showed me toward the stairs.

I went up and easily found the section I was looking for. The books were lined up in a alphabetical order, so I searched for the letter P. When I found what I was looking for, I sat down. The book title said:  Famous Poems by Edgar Allan Poe; I flipped through the book content to find my favorite poem, then turned to page 156. 

                                                Alone

                                     From childhood's hour I have not been