Chapter Eight ~ A True Fight

"My feet hurt!"

I rubbed my temples as Naruto complained for the umpteenth time. He had started out excited, checking behind every blade of grass for enemies and scanning his surroundings constantly. Now, he was dragging behind, complaining and whining every step of the way. Ignoring my throbbing headache, I pulled out my bottle of pills, popping two into my mouth and swallowing them dry. I had had my major injuries healed for the mission before leaving, but I was still stiff and sore and they hadn't taken the pain medication back.

Technically, there was still an hour and seventeen minutes before I was supposed to take more medication, but I hurt now. I could feel the medicine wearing off, the buzz leaving my mind. This "zetaphorin" was like oil to the machine that was my mind; I could think more clearly and much more quickly when I was under its effects. Without my body to distract me, my mind was free to think.

I walked silently with the team, briefly studying the little puddle of water at the edge of our pathway; it could have been made by anything, but it hadn't rained in a while and it wasn't a busy enougb road to justify someone having spilled their canteen. I sighed; I'd been hoping for a challenge on this mission, not whatever idiots had laid this trap.. Though this was just the beginning; when this failed, someone stronger would be sent.

I showed no signs of tension in my stance--if anything, I looked bored. I mean, I already guessed exactly when we'd be ambushed, and with Kakashi on our side, chances were we would easily win. I could even possibly learn a thing or two by watching this fight. But then Kakashi came up behind me, resting his hand on my shoulder for an instance before walking away.

A message.

I rolled my eyes. He wanted me to hold back, to avoid taking the attackers out unless necessary. Obviously he wanted to test his genin, and see who exactly these ninja were after. Idiot. I could tell him they were after the bridge builder if he would just ask and trust my deductions.

Instead, Kakashi walked ahead of me and the team, seemingly oblivious to the perfectly aimed weapons. I didn't react; he'd already made the signs for a substitution. Moments later, faster than any of the genin could react, assassins wrapped Kakashi in chains and squeezed hard. A look of terror flicked across Kakashi's face before he was torn to pieces.

I smirked.

Sakura screamed and Sasuke's eyes widened in fear. Naruto yelled, "Kakashi-sensei!" He sounded terrified.

I stood there and observed it all, interested only to see if the situation would play out as I'd predicted.

The two assassin ninja appeared behind Naruto. "Second one," they taunted. Naruto's eyes widened and he started shaking, clearly frozen even as the ninja drew their chains out and sent them flying toward Naruto. The air shifted around Sasuke; just as I'd predicted, he was going to save Naruto.

"CASHILE, HELP THEM!" Sakura cried, unable to bear intensity of this current situation. I raised my eyebrow. Instead of yelling at me, why didn't Sakura do something herself? I was listening to orders from Kakashi. For once.

Someone cried out in pain, and Sakura yelled, "Stay behind me!" She firmed her stance in front of Tazuna, holding a kunai tightly even as two chunin barreled toward her. Sasuke swiftly moved himself in front of Sakura, arms wide to block her and Tazuna from the path of the attackers. I raised an eyebrow: this wasn't in my calculations. Kakashi was supposed to have stepped in by now.

I sighed. "So much drama." In my mind I play out exactly what I was going to do.

Startle enemy by appearing directly in front of them. Hit kidney of the one on the right. Duck beneath the wild punch of the one on the left. Spin to avoid weak punch from the still reeling one on the right, while unsheathing a kunai and slitting the throat of lefty. Step to the right, push the punch away from my body and jab the pressure point, leaving righty paralyzed for ten minutes.